Two confederate navy revolvers, brass

jimemers

I have a couple of confederate brass revolvers. A 1980, (AF) .36 caliber 1851 navy, that I am not sure of the manufacture. No engraving on cylinder, made in Italy with way too big of letters stating such on one side of the barrel and "black powder only" on the other side.
Says "1851 old model .36 caliber navy revolver on top of barrel.
All matching, wth 5 digit serial starting with one, and a large "C" stamped on bottom of barrel where serial numbers meet the numbers on brass.
"C" for confederate? Maker?

Anyway no clue who made it, every bit as nice as the ASM. (tempted to say little better maybe except for fit of hand grips) Both very good quality though.

The other I got at the same time is a 1982 (AI) .44 1850 with octagon barrel, also brass, of which there was never any such thing made originally I don't believe. By ASM. Suppose it is the Army 44, though it has a naval scene.
All matching as well, engraved naval battle scene on cylinder with colt patent date, and name of battle etc.

No clue who made the first one, there is a weird looking mark on butt of hand grip brass strip, looks kind of like an 'R' made with multiple lines, I will have to post a pic.

Any ideas what it might be, I'm all researched out, thought I'd ask the experts, thanks

Post pics in a little while.

Last edited:

Hawg

No clue who made the first one, there is a weird looking mark on butt of hand grip brass strip, looks kind of like an 'R' made with multiple lines,

Does it look like this?

hartcreek

Do some photos...you are overlooking some proof marks and possibly even the makers name....maybe under the loading lever.

jimemers

Worse thing besides fit of grips is the scratches around wedge bolt, like that when I got it. Both were scratched that way. Thinking of taking a stone to them, but maybe have someone else do the blueing right if they are worth the effort
The only marks other than proofs date stamp AF and serial is that C and the R

hmmm, when i go to upload says I'm not logged in. Working on it.
Yeah, I'm getting booted off and on like crazy. Constantly having to sign back in.

Last edited:

jimemers

Working on others

Attachments

• 101_0479.jpg
    101_0479.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 91
  • Image7.jpg
    Image7.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 83
  • Image8.jpg
    Image8.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 83

jimemers

Hawg, it is not giving me the option to reply to individuals. Might be my browser, though I cleaned everything. explorer and cc cleaner.

The 1982 ASM has no Made in Italy etc, except under the loader, along with AMS black powder only, in real thin faint font. Which I like. Proofs and serials where they should be though.
Which brings up another question, no serial on back strip or on butt of the 1980 unknown.
Any reason to think they are not both ASM?
What might these sell for now days as a rule? Thanks.

Attachments

• 101_0475.jpg
    101_0475.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 60
  • frame.jpg
    frame.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 60
  • pair.jpg
    pair.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

Hawg

It's not ASM but I don't recognize the logo. As for value, assuming good shape I'd say around 125.00-150.00 apiece.

Doc Hoy

If you look closely....

....at the third photo in the first set, and use your imagination, you can see a "P" surrounded by "R"s...

PR? Did PR manufacture for anyone other than FIE?

As regards working on the pistols it would be easy to put too much into them if you paid someone else to do the work. (I just did that with a SAA clone from Mitchell Arms but I don't really care because I love the pistol.)

There are a coupla ways to approach these revolvers depending upon the sentimental value to you. (I have about a dozen revolvers or semi-autos that are priceless to me but not worth two cents to anyone else.)

1. Re-finish the pistols yourself including cold blue. Its fun to work on these things.

2. Part them out selling what you can on eBay. Then if the frames are any account, make them available on this forum. (Make sure to go by the rules for selling on the forum.) You would almost certainly make enough on the parts to buy two new Piettas in brass.

Last edited:

foolzrushn

jimemers

Not sure what you mean by 'not giving me the option to reply to individuals'... but if you select the 'Remember Me' box at your log in... you won't get booted off. Just remember to log out when finished.

When logged in, you should be able to do everything....post,upload, send PMs, etc....and have all the time that you need. :)

jimemers

Well, doc, I can work on them, but I collect Mausers etc, and a cardinal rule with those is "don't do anything to them" Not sure what peoples opinions are on 30-35 year old repops, why I never shined them up. But those scratches bug the heck out of me.
No thoughts on the C?
Checking out PR now, thanks all.

There seems to be no "reply with quote" buttons etc, is what I meant. Pretty sure I saw one on the left of peoples post at the first, nothing now.

Fingers McGee

Like Hawg, I do not recognize the logo on the first pistol. At first I thought it might be a poorly stamped MAVI mark; but comparing the two, I don't believe it is. Here's the Mavi di savinelli makers mark

mavi.jpg

As to cleaning/working on them. If they are unfired in original condition with box and papers, there might be some collector value. In shooter fine condition, Hawg is right on about their value.

More pictures of all the markings might help identify it.

Last edited:

jimemers

Really nothing other than Italian proof marks. Checking for Italian makers but google search is lame anymore idk.
Came across a post in another site but was not complete, something about one shooting ASM in competitions, quote "and even RRR ru-ru I can't even spell it" un-quote, then he left off.
That is the exact quote, whatever that meant, suppose I could register and ask.
Wonder if anyone made a competition barrel for these, seems like an aweful long slot. "C" for competition ?
Idk, one might wonder the collectability of some 20 plus years from now, who knows. ASM does seem to have some avid followers.

But anyway, the stamp s actually really clear. thanks

Last edited:

Hawg

ASM(Armi san Marco) does have it's followers but their quality was hit or miss. They all looked good but many were plagued with soft internals. Some like them and some wouldn't touch one with a 10 ft. pole. Parts for them are getting hard to find. I think VTI still has some. There was a myriad of small manufacturers in the 60's-80's. Good luck on finding who made the other one. The octagonal barrel is a 51 navy but they were never offered in .44 or brass. The 60 army also has a naval scene.

foolzrushn

jimemers

Copy the quote to your clipboard. Use the 'post reply' button at lower left and then when the cursor is located where you want the quote.....select the 'quote' icon above the text window.....(forth from right, bottom row). Paste the quote between the two groups of brackets, move your cursor below the quote, then finish your comments.

You can scroll down to the forum support area in the list of forums, and look for quote questions in the site questions area for more.

Last edited:

AKexpat

ASM(Armi san Marco) does have it's followers but their quality was hit or miss. They all looked good but many were plagued with soft internals. Some like them and some wouldn't touch one with a 10 ft. pole. Parts for them are getting hard to find. I think VTI still has some. There was a myriad of small manufacturers in the 60's-80's. Good luck on finding who made the other one. The octagonal barrel is a 51 navy but they were never offered in .44 or brass. The 60 army also has a naval scene.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=100736&d=1450138297

Hawg: I don't see an 1860 Army. I see an 1851 brasser with a rebated .44 cylinder and a cut water table. It also has the rammer screw entering from the right side (typical of early ASM) and the thin load-lever catch. It is also missing the wedge screw and has a strange looking hammer screw. As for the logo on the bottom of the gripstrap, it may be a variation of an EIG logo (importer: EIG Cutlery).

Jim

Hawg

Hawg: I don't see an 1860 Army.

No, you don't see an 1860 army. He made reference to it being a navy because of the naval scene. I was just trying to clear things up by saying the 60 also had a naval scene.

jimemers

Yeah, they are both "navy" Just the 44 never existed in that configuration is what I was trying to say, should have worded it differently. I do have screws for it, and after some thought, got the stones out.
Their completely disassembled, post pics when I'm done.
After a lot of comparison, thinking possibility an import mark, really looks more and more like a Pietta.

As for stretch, doubt these would ever have an issue with 20 grain load, the cylinder is steel, barrel etc, the only thing one would have to watch is the wedge bolt and slot.

What is a "cut water table"? Thanks again.

Last edited:

Hawg

The water table is the portion of the frame under the cylinder. You will notice on the .44 it is cut deeper towards the front to accommodate the larger front portion of the .44 cylinder. I don't see how you get Pietta out of that. Pietta's trademark is FAP in a diamond. I have one made in 76 that just has FAP stamped on the underside of the barrel.

jimemers

Thinking RRR is probably just some importer that ordered Peittas etc with not so fancy parts, engravings, etc. Goes on all the time, always has.
Pic doesn't show it but grips are really light as well, sanded and stained them last night, thinking boiled linseed oil look better.
Getting Pietta out of countless comparisons of others.
Been wrong before, be wrong again I suppose.

There's some black on the brass under the frame, camera is junk, Do you mean where it looks like a notch from the black?
Nevermind, i see what your saying bout cut.

Last edited: