two bullets, one gun?

Yakko77

Helloooooo!!!

My new Ruger SP101 revolver can fire both the .357 mag and the .38 spl. How is this possible? I always thought guns were custom made for ONE type of bullet. What makes my new revolver any different? :confused: :confused: :confused:

WESHOOT2

TWO "CARTRIDGES"

"Bullet" refers to the projectile, while "cartridge" is what we call the thing we stick in the cylinder chamber.

The 38 Special cartridge and the 357 Magnum cartridge both use the same diameter projectile (.357" nominal) but the Magnum case is longer.

So, 38 Special/357 Magnum.
44 Special/44 Magnum.
45 Colt/454 Casull.

Yakko77

WOW!!!

Helloooooooo!!!

I love this forum. I post a question and I have an answer in less that 5 minutes!!! Thank you for the quick responce WESHOOT2!!! I honestly didn't know that when I bought this weapon. I just figured it shot the one round and when I go to shoot it for the first time, the range master offers me both types of ammo. COOL!!!! :D ;) :cool:

To expand on Wesshoot's answer, many of today's handgun cartridges are modifications of earlier rounds, some stretching back 100 years or more, done by keeping the same nominal cartridge and bullet dimensions, but lengthening the case to allow for more powder capacity, and hence higher velocity and more power.

Since all dimensions other than case length are equal, the older, shorter rounds can fit into chambers for the newer, more powerful rounds.

Note that this is normally only possible with straight-walled, rimmed cases. In a rimmed case, headspacing, or orientation of the case on firing, is done by the rim, and not by a shoulder or case mouth -- in essence, case length is no longer a critical factor.

So, with revolver rounds, there's quite a bit of case interchangibility.

For instance, if you have a handgun chambered for the .357 Maximum, you can fire in it .357 Magnum, .38 Special, .38 Long Colt, and .38 Short Colt rounds.

That is also a rough chronology of the development of those rounds, as well, with the .357 Max. being the newest (1980s), and going backwards in time -- .357 Mag., 1935, .38 Special, about 1898, .38 Long Colt and .38 Short Colt, both in the 1870s. A spread of about 110 years between rounds.

The same is true for the .44 Magnum (1950s), .44 Spl. (1907), and .44 Russian (1873+-).

C.R.Sam

Generally, the .38 special is loaded to considerably lower power than the .357 magnum. Since the magnum uses a longer case, any mixups will only work in the safe direction. Special can be fired in the stronger magnum gun but the magnum cartridges cannot be fired in the (arguably) weaker special gun.

Always pays to pay attention tho.

Omaha eh ? Got pretty far from the ocean when you got off active duty.:D

Sam

priv8ter

Just to confuse things

If you ever decide to get into rifle shooting, most of those cartridges are necked and belted so that they will only fit one caliber of gun. Of course, I understand that .38's will work in most lever action .357's, and the same with .44 special. What a wonderful world we live in.

Priv8ter,

The reason .38s will work in a .357-chambered lever gun is because the round is a straight-walled pistol cartridge that headspaces on the rim.

It's the same with a revolver.

Yakko77

Learning

Hellooooooooo!!!

Even though I've been a proud gun owner for just over a year now, I'm still a rookie/novice. I have so much to learn still and sites like this help alot. Thank you everyone for the education. Till next time............... :D ;) :cool:

Lennyjoe

Just in case you didnt know, if you shoot a lot of lead .38 rounds out of your .357 you need to be aware of lead build up in the cylinder. Also, lead build up can become a factor in the barrel as well. Make sure you properly clean your bore and cylinder properly if you shoot alot of lead.

RWK

Yakko, welcome . . .

To amphlify just slightly on my friends’ replies, one of the truly GREAT advantages of a high quality .357 magnum (like your SP-101) is its visibility, resulting from the huge variety of ammunition it accommodates. To illustrate:
> .38 Special 130 grain FMJs for general target and plinking use
> .357 magnum 180 grain cast core rounds for hunting (I wouldn’t want to hunt with an SP-101, but it demonstrates the flexibility of this .357 mag/.38 Special combination)
> .38 Special 158 grain lead, .38 Special +P Nyclads or “mild” .357 magnums for “gentler” defense
> Fully stoked .357 magnum loads for (e. g., 158 grain HydraShoks) for “robust” self-defense

The list is virtually endless and the core of the great usefulness is the ability of a top-quality .357 revolver to accommodate the immense variety of readily available .38 Special and .357 magnum rounds.