Two '67 beauties

spacecoast

I recently had an opportunity to add these two 1967-vintage revolvers to my gun harem and couldn't pass up the chance. Both are in 95%+ condition with just a slight hint of muzzle wear.

On top is a Colt Officers Model Match in .38 special.

Below it is a pinned and recessed S&W Model 28-2 Highway Patrolman (.357 of course) with Herretts Model RM stocks and a trigger shoe. Both the stocks and shoe appear to be modifications, the original stocks would have had S&W medallions.

photo27_zps79618f15.jpg

photo26_zpsb3792f07.jpg

Last edited:

SaxonPig

Stocks can't be original as S&W never sold guns with aftermarket stocks. May be as old as the gun having been installed by the first owner when purchased but they are not "original" which implies it came from S&W that way.

spacecoast

Stocks can't be original as S&W never sold guns with aftermarket stocks.

Yeah, I should have checked my SCSW before posting that, and have corrected it, thanks. I didn't expect that the first owner would have changed them out, but with the presence of the non-stock trigger shoe I shouldn't be surprised.

I know the Model 27 had the high-polish premium bluing (similar to the Colt I would guess), but this Model 28's "satin" finish is awfully nice too.

MrBorland

Nice guns.

Those Herrett stocks look like their Shooting Stars. How do they feel? How's the fit? 'Course "feel" is a very individual thing, but I've been kicking around a set for my K-38.

KyJim

Good acquisitions! I have both models myself so you obviously have good taste. :) The OMM had the hand tuned action of the Python and was also nicely finished. The M28 is a workhorse.

spacecoast

How do they feel? How's the fit?

I'll post some more pics this evening regarding fit, but I can say they feel really good (without having shot the gun yet). I'm partial to Hogues on my S&Ws, but I think these will be very comfortable to shoot. Plus, recoil should also be mitigated by the N-frame heft and 6" barrel.

bedbugbilly

I can't imagine anyone wanting to add these two "uglies" to their collection? I think you should box 'em up and mail 'em to me and I'll dispose of them! :D

Nice looking pair! Anybody would be tickled to have either one of them . . but to have them both? Hey . . . it doesn't get any better! Thanks for sharing and enjoy! :)

Kev

Had a pair of OMMs in 38 & 22..
Pops has the S&W Highway Patrolman

Beautiful guns..Thanks for posting

spacecoast

MrBorland -

Here are a couple more pics of the Herretts stocks. These are likely ~40 years old, and for an N-frame, so I'm not sure if that predicts how well a new set will fit your K38, but here they are...

photo6_zpsb1323890.jpg

photo5_zpsf934bc2e.jpg

DaleA

Those are two marvelous revolvers. They would be a welcome addition to any to any collection.

I would guess the Colt would be the higher priced gun but I sure like the way the 28 is tricked out with the trigger shoe and the grips. (And of course it is a 28.)

Looking forward to a shooting report.

glenncal1

The 28 probably came originally with N frame Magnas since it doesn't have a target trigger or hammer. I can't use magnas at all so those Herretts look great. That's a nice pair, you will find shooting .38's out of the model 28 to be very mild in recoil and you will burn up ammo at an alarming rate :D