Twist rate for 22 K Hornet

Longshot4

According to what I have read the Ruger 77 Hornet has a twist rate of 14 and ideal bullet weight choices should be 40-45 gr. JBM calculator shows that my best shooting bullet Hornady 35gr. VMax is not the most stable choice. I'm having a hard time excepting electronics in loading. Sure they may be able to help out to a point but it seams to me to have quite a bit of gray area to their calculations. What do you think?

T. O'Heir

Quit using a computer program. Very few programmers have ever seen a firearm, never mind fired one. Far too many variables for any computer program to work anyway.
Hodgdon lists up to 55 grain bullets on their site.

chiefr

Got out of the Hornet clique some time ago. Every one I owned liked light bullets. Light meaning less than 50gr. Anything else spread. Never could achieve good groups with 55s which were so common. Never did well with the 52gr match either.

Standard twist rate was 1&14, some rifles were 1&16. Hope this helps

... or throw a 1 in 9" twist barrel on the Hornet :) I was stabilizing 68 grain bullets in my Ruger rifle after adding a 1 in 9" twist barrel... I've not tried them with K Hornet yet, as I'm still fire forming brass after reaming my chamber... BTW... even my 6" revolver was stabilizing 68 grain bullets in my Hornet revolver ;)

Longshot4

I like what you are doing with the 1:9 Twist. I suspect you will be able to slow down the larger pill. If it shoots tight it would be a nice squirrel load. Keep up the good work. Let me know how they shoot when you are able.

SSA

JBM calculator shows that my best shooting bullet Hornady 35gr. VMax is not the most stable choice
I don't know what you're going by there. It shows that 35 gr bullet as being very well stabilized.