Twist Rate / Barrel Length / Bullet Weight chart needed.

riverwalker76

Does anyone here have a chart for optimal twist rate and barrel length for a particular bullet weight?

For reference, I am trying to figure out the optimal bullet weight for a .223 barrel that is 24" long with a 1:12" twist rate.

Thanks.

Redbullitt

dont have a chart or anything, but I would think you would get the best results with middle weight bullets, say something below 60ish grains.

I shoot 1/9 in my 223 and it likes the 69 and 70s the best. YMMV of course, but the best way to see is buy a couple boxes and try them out since. Listen to what the gun wants to shoot well!

M.O.A.

45 to 55 is the optimal bullet weight for that twist you can type in twist rate charts and it sould bring up some web sites for them :D

Jim Watson

Barrel length doesn't have much to do with bullet selection.
And the usual twist rate charts show the longest (not necessarily heaviest) bullet that will be stabilized.

The 12 twist .223 was picked by the Army to stabilize 55 grain boattail FMJ hardball in cold dense air. In a sporting rifle you can certainly use any 55 grain lead core bullet and probably 60 grain flatbase. And of course anything lighter/shorter which might shoot accurately in your particular rifle.

You have to be careful with non-lead bullets which tend long for their weight because copper and tin are of lower density than lead. Best check the maker's recommendation. For example a 50 grain Barnes copper+tin cored Varmint Grenade wants a 10 twist where 50 grain lead core bullets have been shot out of 14 twist barrels for decades. Standard barrels are limited to the 36 grain VG.