Turtle Wax Renew RX

garryc

I went to buy a bottle of Nu-Finish polishing compound, they didn't have any. I bought Turtle Wax Renew RX polishing compound. This is the stuff in the squeeze bottle, not in the tub. Now I'm reading that is has ammonia in it (internet info) and ammonia attacks brass.

Looking at the MSDS I see no mention of any ammonia. I see that it uses a deodorized kerosene ( Hydrotreated light distillate) rather than naphtha (stolards solvent) as Nu-Finish does, that's about the difference. Since ammonia is a reactive component it would be listed on the MSDS.

NU-Finish lists the abrasive Ceramic Microspheres and turtle wax does not list the abrasive. Nu-Finish lists oliec dithanol amide Turtle wax lists white oil as wetting agents.

Any difference here?

You should be able to smell ammonia if it is present. Oliec dithanol amide is an emulsifier and foaming agent. White oil is just mineral oil, AFAIK, unless they meant white spirits, in which case it is just part of the mineral spirits, naphtha and Stoddard solvent family.

garryc

I can smell what is like stolards solvent, no ammonia smell. Kind of like Johnsons Paste wax, not nearly as strong. More like JPW after I vapor out the solvent.

I guess it's ok to use. never trust the internet, always verify.

Last edited:

wild willy

Turtle Wax has a contact at the bottom of their home page just send an email.I wondered the same thing about their scratch and swirl remover I emailed them.Reply stated that was for my info only.I'll just say the scratch and swirl is ok to use