Turnbull SAA Clone

mikejonestkd

I have a chance to buy a ANIB never been fired Turnbull SAA clone in 45 colt. The finish, as to be expected from Turnbull, is absolutely perfect- deep bluing, gorgeous case hardening, and decent quality walnut grips. The owner has no desire to keep it - he won it in a raffle, and is selling it for a great price.

The problem is that I simply don't need another single action revolver...I have several SAA clones - ubertis, cimmarons, and several rugers, as well as two second generation Colts.

It is too pretty to ever shoot, and I don't want to own a safe queen. Buying it to just look at it is a foreign concept to me.....

I need advice and opinions on what to do - especially if you have first hand experience with Turnbull revolvers.

James K

Member In Memoriam
I think you would have no problem selling it, perhaps even at a nice profit, but we need to know what that "great price" is.

Jim

mikejonestkd

$700, I was informed that it listed for $1600 new, but its tough to tell the true street price new as they made so few revolvers a year, and most were limited one of a kind production runs.

edit- and I am the kind of guy that never sells anything....I subscribe to Cheapshooters philosophy...

Last edited:

Bob Wright

First of all, there has never been a gun made that is "too pretty to shoot."

Turnbull's SA revolvers were based on the USFA guns, now no longer made, so these guns have dried up. If I were you, I'd buy that in a minute, regardless of how many Single Actions I had. I would have slapped $700 in his hand, grabbed that SA and left him standing there wondering just what transpired!

And you never buy a gun according to need!

Bob Wright

Hunter Customs

I would have slapped $700 in his hand, grabbed that SA and left him standing there wondering just what transpired!

I agree with Bob Wright, as I 've done that very thing on a few guns I've purchased that were to good of deals to pass up.

And you never buy a gun according to need!

Again I have to agree with Bob.

mikejonestkd, If you don't want the gun I would be interested in it.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

44 AMP

Staff
grab it! Or steer someone who wants it to it!

Even though you may never sell anything, what about trades? Might come a time you find something you really want, and the guy who has it might drool, over a Turnbull SA, that is just "extra" to you. Sometimes, a special thing is worth more than the money it is valued at.

While I don't have any experience with Turnbull myself, a friend got one of their "WWI" 1911s. Flawless execution, with an odd thing. There were no marking on the slide, where there should have been. When he called the shop about it, they basically said "WHAT? oh s..drat. send it in!" He got it back a few days later, perfect in all counts, including the proper period correct markings.

Bob Wright

NoSecondBest saith:
Turnbull is one of the very few firearms services/customizations that will always add value to any gun they are applied to.

Haven't visited the Colt Forum lately, have you?

Bob Wright

NoSecondBest

Haven't visited the Colt Forum lately, have you?
Since I don't have a crystal ball or read minds, I have no idea what you mean. Care to explain? FWIW, I've never visited the Colt forum. I've also never seen a gun that lost value due to Turnbull's work. Have you?

mikejonestkd

Even a professional restoration like Turnbull's work will not automatically increase the value of the firearm. In fact, there is a good chance that Purists will snub their noses at a restored firearm.

its odd, people will pay top dollar to have a mustang restored to ' original ' condition and it will great increase the value of the car. Try to do the same thing to a firearm and people get all bent out of shape.

Just to keep it current - this is a brand new firearm, not a restored one. So, there's no need for thread drift.

I pick it up tomorrow....still haven't decided if I am going to actually shoot it.

Pointshoot

Congrats to the OP.

If the gun is a USFA that has Turnbull work it is way underpriced.

This must be your lucky weekend - place a bet on the Super Bowl and you may rake in a ton ! :D

Bob Wright

NoSecondBest said:
Since I don't have a crystal ball or read minds, I have no idea what you mean. Care to explain? FWIW, I've never visited the Colt forum. I've also never seen a gun that lost value due to Turnbull's work. Have you?

One of the favorite pastimes over on the Colt Forum seems to be bashing Turnbull's work and Turnbull himself, it seems. Purists on that forum frown on any work done on a Colt revolver. They say it "destroys history."

I am pretty much a black sheep over there, a thorn in their sides. I am of the school that believes in guns were made for shooting.

Bob Wright

NoSecondBest

One of the favorite pastimes over on the Colt Forum seems to be bashing Turnbull's work and Turnbull himself, it seems. Purists on that forum frown on any work done on a Colt revolver. They say it "destroys history."

I am pretty much a black sheep over there, a thorn in their sides. I am of the school that believes in guns were made for shooting.

Even my Turnbull guns get taken out hunting all season long. I'm like you, I shoot them. Now, I wouldn't suggest for a moment that if I had a truly rare and classic firearm that I'd just send it to Doug to work on it. I wouldn't. I'd just not buy it. I'd let someone else buy it to look at it. I can never understand the mentality of buying something and fretting about it's collector value as some means of investment. I've done a lot better with investing by having a good financial advisor and putting money into stocks, bonds, and annuities. As far as Doug's working on classic guns.....he knows which ones to work on which ones not to work on. He has a small museum of his own at his location (everything has a price tag on it) and he's done some fantastic work on some very old guns. He's also left some of the really old ones in good condition just as they are. I guess I kind of straddle the fence on preserving history. How much history do we need? If we have a holiday for every significant event, we won't have to work at all in another hundred years:)

mikejonestkd

I spent a little time doing a side by side comparison with several of my other revolvers last night.

The best way of describing the quality/ fit/ and finish is like comparing a Timex with a Rolex.

It is going to be so hard to wait till spring to shoot it....