Turn 375 H&H into ~35 Whelen using 38-55/375 Win bullets?

Glamdring

I am wondering if pushing 220 (hornady) or 255 (barnes original) bullets designed for 38-55/375 Win to 2300 fps would work for deer. These bullets are designed for about 2000 fps I am wondering if pushing thes bullets this fast would cause bullet failure?

Can anyone recommend better bullet/load for down loading 375 H&H to about 35 Whelen level? I want about 2300 fps or so so I can use 200 yard zero, but still want bullet expansion.

Tom Matiska

My experience with pushing 30-30 bullets a few hundred faster out of a 308 wasn't a great success. Ratio of edible meat to purple jelly decreases rapidly when you drive a flatnose too fast. Just too much shock damage.

Tom

Tom Matiska

From load data I'm guessing 2500-2600. Should add that the shot was close range in the brush at near full muzzle velocity. At the rate that blunt nose bullets slow down, a little range can lessen the problem.

Tom

tex_n_cal

I have done this, it works quite well. I have an Ruger #1 in .375 H&H (one of the light ones) and it shoots like a champ with "mid-range loads" that go about 2200-2300 fps.

How does it do on game? I would expect the Hornady 220 to expand like crazy - the Barnes bullets to be a lot tougher.

Speer also makes a 235 semi-pointed bullet, and I would expect it to also work well. Varget is my favorite powder for the .375, in either reduced or full power loads.