Turkish Shotguns

chewie146

Ok, so I'm not a competitor, I'm not an avid shotgun hunter, and I'm not a shotgun snob. I want a sub-$700 shotgun that works. I'm looking at the CZs, the Silverwings, etc. What do you all recommend?

bejay

are you looking for a semi auto, what are you going to use it for, there seems to be several decent made shotguns coming from turkey but for 700 bucks you can probably find alot thats made elsewhere also.

oneounceload

The issue with Turkish double guns comes from barrel regulation and really gritty triggers - this is most often found from guns made by Huglu. UTAS is a Turkish company who makes excellent products that are not built to cheap price points. Double guns require more hand fitting and labor to do properly. If the price is cheap, it means some of the steps were either omitted or done so quickly and poorly that the expected quality isn't there.

It isn't that Turkey can't make good guns, they can - but if you want a double gun AND cheap, IMO, you would be better off with a better quality semi.

There is a Spanish O/U from CDNN (Lanber), that is in your range, otherwise you can find a used AyA originally sold through Sears. While older, if in good condition, it will be well-made, barrels properly regulated, and decently balanced

BigJimP

+1 on what oneounce said as well...

but another gun I'd at least look at, on a budget, is the TriStar sold by Cabelas and others - mostly because it has a 5 yr warranty ...not because its a good gun / but at least you have something to fall back on ...if the barrel regulation is way off, rib falls off, trigger issues, firing pin issues, stocks crack ...the stuff that is common on these lower end guns...

OkieCruffler

If you're set on a Turk I have a 20 ga Yildez that Academy carries. I've got 1450+ rds thru it so far with no issues. I want to say I paid 399 and tax for it. My only complaints are that it's really light. Lead shot in the butt brought the weight up but it balances kinda different that way. And the ejectors could put someone's eye out. But I just can't get excited about shooting it. No history, no style, no mojo. But the wife likes it so if she ever starts shooting again it will probably become her's. I've been looking at older Ithica/SKB O/Uers lately that would fit within your budget. Much better mojo.

gyvel

My Sarsilmaz was a jam-o-matic. If it's made in Turkey, it IS a turkey.

Don't even get me started about the Turkish made pistol I had the misfortune of owning.

Gobble gobble gobble.

BigJimP

okie....,

On that light gun ...see if there is room / to put some "lead tape" under the forend of that gun. You can buy lead tape - in golf stores - they sell it in 4oz or 6oz packages / and many guns / have room for about 8oz of it under the forened.

use a little bit of tape to hold it where you want it ....take all the extra weight out of the gun ...use a magic marker on some tape on the side of the receiver - and note the balance point on the gun before - and if you can get 8 oz of weight in forend ...and 8oz inside the stock ...and position both weights so the balance point does not change ( and then tape them down) ...the extra lb will reduce recoil about 20% - and give the gun better swing characteristics.

OkieCruffler

I had thought of doing something simular to that and actually bore some holes in the forend. Lead tape would be a better option. The gun is just so uninspiring I just don't care. Like I said, nothing wrong with it and I shot the heck out of it to begin with but it seems I can't really get into a gun unless it's older than I am. Getting harder to find one that qualifies...

chewie146

Thanks for all the info, everyone. Hey Okie, where are you seeing these older shotguns in my price range? I'm not real sure what I'm looking for. I know some of these names can be a little misleading, and some were made in different places. Any tips?

OkieCruffler

I have two local pawns that actually have decent prices and cash brings a pretty good discount. The Ithicas are pretty easy to find on GunBroker and the like for 600 but once you pay shipping and transfer that can add another 100.

OkieCruffler

Now that is a neat idea. The wife likes shooting the Yildiz now the way it is (without the shot in the stock, that was used to reload :D) But she's never shot 4 rounds of skeet with it either.

chack

My son's 12 ga is a Charles daly made in Turkey. It's been great and well worth the $150 I paid for it.

zippy13

it seems I can't really get into a gun unless it's older than I am
And, you've probably noted that trap and skeet scores are higher with smokeless powder guns. ;)

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Three firearms here, a GM and two 870s are older than WW, my wife.

The GM is older than me.

John, I've taken a few shots with fowlers. Lock time's slow, the powder smoke precludes followups, but it's oodles of fun.

To the OP, $700 can find you a fair number of older SKBs,Winchester 101s and maybe even a Superposed.

OkieCruffler

One thing with a fowler, I'm betting you can't get away with a bad followthru. I really like that Ithica that I've been looking at but I think I like the 101's I'm running into better and they aren't that much more coin tho I haven't found one for 700 yet.

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
101s are decent guns, but the fit's a little off for me. If they work for you,though.

Flinters ignite with a hiss before the boom. Cap guns go off like newer models. Both are fun.

Did a bird hunt with a guy with a Pedersoli double,a 12 gauge percussion. He dressed in period gear and we hunted over a pair of decent dogs for quail and ringnecks. He had as much fun as we did, and got a couple birds. I got to try it out on a covey flush and missed. Still enjoyed it.