Turkey Makes "Most Modern Combat Rifle in the World"

Alabama Shooter

Essentially an M4 clone made in Turkey. I wonder if it will be available for import or the gun makers will negate the competition through regulation?

mtrdd.png

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/tu...rifle.aspx?pageID=517&nID=46350&NewsCatID=341

SPEMack618

You know, every time I read of some other country producing the next great thing in automatic weapons technology, I can't help but wonder how the Hughes Amendment has hurt our weapon design and innovation.

I think they have used the word "modern" to make the new guns sound better than they may be. I think they are saying "modern" in the context of recent or contemporary (which would be accurate) versus "modern" in the context of being advanced, as in the next big thing.

tahunua001

modern compared to an AK47 yes... I'm thinking the pic in the OP is not the correct model. the new rifle is called the SAR223 which I'm guessing to mean will be a 5.56 nato rifle and based on the 2 rifles on display in the news piece looks to be an exact copy of the M4, same mags, same hand guards, same everything.

jmr40

I think he means "pistol caliber carbine". Look at the magwell. It looks too short for 223.

Skans

This is impossible! Absolutely impossible. I make the most modern combat rifle in the world. I just finished my M4 rifle-length clone about 1 week ago - same basic design as that one, but much, much newer and fresher. How dare Turkey make such a statement! I am insulted!!!!

TXAZ

It's a local Turkish rag intended for local consumption. That's a virtually required action to bolster local support and continued funding.
Of course it's a new design (for them), and clearly they ARE "the most modern military rifles in the world" (modern just meaning newest). It may be a POS but their claims are accurate :)
We lived in that part of the world for a couple of years and found many of these types of claims amusing.

Last edited:

Patriot86

n_46350_4.jpg

mtkqt.png

mtkug.jpg

mtl08.jpg

Looks like AR's with a rogers stock

Also nice pistol caliber AR.

If SAR imported them to the US, I would probably check one out. I have read nothing but good things about their pistols so far.

DubC-Hicks

The red dot is gonna be looking about halfway up the FSB. And take a look at the scope on the .223. Looks like one of those $90 ones from CTD or Sportsmans guide.

Fishbed77

Something makes me think these are intended to cash in on the bottom-of-the-barrel US commercial AR market, and not for any serious military use.

Patriot86

Anyone notice anything odd about the pistol caliber?

The upper looks much shorter than a standard AR, this is not simply a standard AR upper that was modified for use with 9MM or 45 or whatever they are using...

Patriot86

Yeah that optic is pretty low...is that a -1/3 Co-Witness?

I meant the "Receiver" part of the upper, not the barrel. The railed section of the upper looks much shorter than the rifle caliber one.

blfuller

The upper in the OP pic looks like it is machined instead of a forging. Probably because it is shorter. I wonder if they are using a current industry standard mag like an UZI or the Colt 9mm pattern.