Tumbling Bullets

Bucksnort1

Before loading, has anyone tumbled bullets. I have a box of pointed soft point .257 bullets that have a little haze on them. The only reason I can think of to not tumble is perhaps damaging the soft point.

Comments!!!!

Bart B.

If they are clean, shoot them as is unless you want to enter them in a beauty contest.

Last edited:

ballardw

Flitz and a soft cloth while watching TV.

A vibratory tumbler might not deform the bullets much but a rotary one will likely have severe deformation if not removal of the soft tips.

DaleA

I wouldn't go through the bother just because I'm lazy.

That said, I believe I've read somewhere that damage to the tip of the bullet doesn't degrade accuracy much at all but damage to the base can cause significant accuracy problems. Note: go to somebody like Unclenick for the real info about tip/base damage and accuracy. They know why, I only know what I think I remember I read somewhere.

44 AMP

Staff
Tip vs base damage?

I don't remember which gun magazine it was in but there was an article testing this some decades ago. They shaved/cut numerous tips in different ways, and then took some of the same bullets nd drilled/cut the bases and shot them for comparison.

Bullets with mangled/deformed tips remained fairly accurate. Bullets with damaged bases did not.

Basically it has to do with area and rotational stability. Even a big chunk off the nose doesn't affect the bullet's spin the way a chunk out of the base does.

I've soaked bullets in mineral spirits to get the forming lube traces off for subsequent application of a dry lube (moly or hBN). Otherwise, knowing the target won't be admiring their shine on their way through, I don't bother.

Jim Watson

Sierra once compared polished vs unpolished bullets. As I recall, the unpolished shot just as well but were not shiny like customers expect. Bart probably has details.

It's a predictable result for the same reason rifling marks on a bullet don't change its ballistics appreciably: the air boundary layer over the bullet surface in flight is thicker than the engraving marks. It is certainly thicker than some surface oxidation.

Nose damage will affect long-range accuracy by changing the ballistic coefficient of the bullet and by introducing some wobble in flight. It opens groups by the same mechanism as tilted bullet so, which is by lateral drift due to the center of gravity being off-center in the rifling at the moment it clears the muzzle. But any bias the nose shape creates for off-axis drag is reversed on opposite sides of the rotation, so any amount by which that drag moves the bullet one way it undoes a half a rotation later. This limits its effect. The base, though, if it redirects muzzle blast by its unevenness, is deflected into a larger lateral drift that stays with the bullet all the way to the target.