tumbling and case cleaning notes

ernest2

I have been experimenting with different waxes and polishes and both corn cob and walnut shell media and decieded to
"publish my findings" here for you.

Untreated corn cob and walnut shell.

I purchased untreated corn cob at the local pet store for
3.50 to 4.oo for 4 pounds. Make sure to buy the FINE CORN COB
because the course grade is too big to get inside small pistol cases.
They also have untreated walnut shell media for $4.75 / 4 pounds. It is found in the pet bedding section and used for lining bird/rodent cages.

Treating corn cob media

I found excellent results with turtle wax brand of chrome
polish and rust remover dolloped into fine corn cob media. This
chrome polish also contains a wax which helps keep the brass cases from tarnishing during storage.

A dollop = one or two or 3 teaspoons full as required for the amount of corn cob being treated.

I also found excellent results by adding Turtle wax finish 2001
car polish to the corn cob treated with turtle wax chrome polish and rust remover. Add a dollop or two of finish 2001 car wax
to the corn cob treated with turtle wax chrome polish.

Use mineral spirits paint thinner to reactivate the chrome polish car polish mixture and add a grease cutting element to the mixture; works great!

The mixture of the two yields results close to what you get with
commercially treated fresh walnut media without all the red rouge
mess.

As an extra benifit, the finish 2001(in the lime green bottle) stops tarnishing of brass for 1 year. If you have "Nu Car Finish" (in the orange bottle), this is basically the same stuff, only in a more expensive brand name.

A side note -- finish 2001 is an excellent car polish which holds
up on my car for one year between waxes even when I park my car under the" bird shep tree", which is my normal parking spot.
Under the coating of " bird shep" my 1987 Dodge Colt still looks showroom new, as a flushing with the garden hose will reveal;at least on the outside! Great car wax!
By contrast, I left my 1979 Mercury unwaxed and the bird shep ate right trhough the paint and the undercoat to expose rusty metal.

THE Personal property tax on cars where I live is 10% per year
so we are forced to keep old cars or pay $2000.oo / year tax on a new car. I pay $66.oo /yr car tax.

Did I mention that I really ,really hate both birds and property taxes?? Probably because they both shep on me.

I also use finish 2001 on the exterior of my firearms and my fine tools to stop
rust and sweat through of fingerprints. Just remember not to wax checkering as it turns white and you need to use mineral spirits paint thinner & a tooth brush to get the wax out of the checkering.

Turtle wax chrome polish and Turtle wax Finish 2001car polish mix well and compliment each other in corn cob media.

However,
dupont #7 chrome polish DOES NOT MIX WITH the above turtle
wax products but instead makes a lumpy mess. Not compatable.

Dupont # 7 chrome polish is a red rouge based chrome polish that works well with untreated corn cob media and is probably
similar to if not exactly like the factory walnut shell media treatment.

Dupont #7 chrome polish (red rouge based) works well with either untreated corn cob , untreated walnut shell or factory treated walnut shell.

Dupont #7 does not have any wax in its formula, will not mix with any wax based product and recommends user to wax surfaces cleaned with dupont #7 to prevent tarnishing after cleaning.

Another great side note:

Use turtle wax chrome polish and rust remover to renew your pitted rifle bores (Dark, Peppered Bore) to a bright and shiny condition.

Use a cotton bore mop to apply, run 60 strokes and then clean out bore well with mineral spirits , gasoline or water but just make sure to remove all the chrome cleaner from the bore before firing. This will not remove the pitts, but does make the pitts smooth,bright and shiny.

As a grand finally,

www.accuratearms.com

where you can down load or print all the latest reloading data
for the complete line of accurate powders.

You can apply online for a free reloading booklet that you recieve in the mail, which I just did myself.

David Wile

Hey Ernest,

Thanks a lot for the interesting information. I copied your infomation to a keeper file, and I intend to give it a try.

Thanks again & best wishes,
Dave Wile

yankytrash

ernest -

That's all fine and good, but you failed to mention whether or not TW chrome polish and rust remover with a cotton bore mop removes the pitting and rust from the Dodge Colt.

:D

(Seriously, though, thanks for the report. I'm always interested in other's experiments in casing cleaning. ;) )

ernest2

RESTORING ORIGINAL FINISH ON ANTIQUE COLLECTABLE FIREARMS TO LIKE NEW CONDITION.

dear yankeytrash,

the Dodge Colt has no pitting or rust because I faithfully apply
turttle wax finish 2001 once a year but if the dodge colt ever did have any rust ,the turttle wax chrome polish and rust remover
would remove it.

Seriously, the chrome polish does a job on restoring dirty bores;
I know because I own a gun shop and frequently purchase el cheapo bolt action rifles from southern ohio guns to refurbish and sell to my customers. These rifles wholesale from 39.95 to 159.95
so they are in rough shape when they arrive and need serious tender loving care to put in sellable condition. Read rebluing and refinishing of the stocks or restocking with black plastic zetal stocks.

The chrome polish also does a good job of restoring original bluing on antique firearms as it removes rusty pit marks from the bluing, but care must be taken in this hand polishing job not to polish through (cut through) the original bluing to the bare metal.

I have done extensive work restoring 100 + year old colectable firearms to like new condition while retaining the original factory
bluing because a reblue of these firearms decreases their antique value if they no longer have the original finish.

My method restores the original finish to like new condition.

Use a soft, old t shirt to apply and polish the bluing you want to restore.
If you should try experimenting with these restoration tecniques
use a non antique gun for your first experiment so in case you mess up it is not on a world war 2 nazi german marked p38 or similar collectable.

Turttle wax chrome polish and rust remover makes the bores look fine and allows the sale of these rifles. Without this bore treatment, these old rifles sit in perpetual inventory.

I'm revealing all my trade secrets here but I have moved on to better income sources and the gun shop is only a hobby now so I
no longer care much about trade secrets.

maxwayne

I have had disastrous results with mineral spirits. When I tried to reactivate my media, I got this blue goo stuff that stuck like concrete to everything.

tonyz

ernest2

Does the chrome polash have ammonia in it??

I too have had good luck with Turtle wax finish 2001 car wax and mineral spirits .

Thanks for the Info

Tony

ernest2

turtle wax chrome polish and rust remover has no ammonia in it.
It contains petrolium distillates and wax.
Comes in a 7 oz. green and white metal can with a plastic snap lid.Stock #T-275

ernest2

maxwayne,

I am not fimiliar with the blue treatment that you are using
that turns into goo when you add paint thinner mineral spirits,
but it is obvious that they are incompatible.

I WILL REMEMBER to beware of any blue polishing stuff.

Do you remember what brand it is and if so , would you tell us
so that we can beware of it.

maxwayne

My media is old and over the years has had the Midway polish, Brasso, and finally Turtle Wax added. I put in a small amount of mineral spirits and I got a blue goo. It stuck to the cases and side of my tumbler like concrete. Gasoline was the only thing that would take it off. I am still using the same media with Turtle Wax in it, but on other liquid additives. I did find some Flitz polish a couple of weeks ago and will add it later on. It is possible that there was too much liquid-wax combination. I dont know what the problem, but it was a mess.