Tumbler gunk

ForneyRider

I cleaned out my Lyman 1200 last night and there is hardened gunk in it.

Anyone know how to clean this stuff out without destroying the tumbler?

PCJim

It would depend upon the "gunk", a non-specific term. If just old powder residue like mine from thousands of rounds of tumbling, I would just wipe it out with paint thinner or similar solvent. If something else, I suppose it would depend upon what the something else really is.

The gunk in my tumbler is the media itself - the walnut is black as tar but still cleans brass when splashed with a little paint thinner before hand.....

madmo44mag

It's old polishing compound if you use a liquid polish when tumbling: otherwise it's old powder.
You can use lacquer thinner but be careful because liquor thinner can soften some plastics
Or just scrub it out good with simple green or like cleaner and be done with it

Steviewonder1

Tumbler Gunk

You may also want to do that cleaning outside as there will be plenty of "Old Dust" from many places and I wouldn't want to breathe the Dust.
Good Safety!

Dr. Strangelove

Don't bother

I use the same tumbler, occasionally I will rinse out the bowl, otherwise, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. You can order a replacement bowl if it really bothers you.

I would stay away from "Mean Green" type cleaners, they will really do a number on plastics.

kestak

Greetings,

I have that too and I found 3 ways to remove it:

1 - Try some hoppes #9 with a brush. If it does not work well, use pressure air from a compressor

2 - With my Dillon tumbler, I remove the plastic cup and I use pressure water to clean it.

3 - Tumble with crushed walnut with no polishing media and it will go away. The time to tumble is dependent of how much crud you have.

Thank you

ForneyRider

Thanks, All.

I put some degreaser in there from Lowes. Let it sit for a while then scrubbed with brush. Looks a lot better.