Tumbler capacities & specs???

SpyGuy

I am planning on purchasing a vibratory tumbler. The problem is, there is a lack of basic information available on the different models.

I have been to the manufacturer's Web sites for Dillon, RCBS, Lyman, and Berry's. Lyman's site provides the most technical information, but their Web site hasn't been updated in over three years, so I don't know if any of the specs have changed since then. What I typically see on the other's sites are claims for the number of cases that a tumbler will hold. That information is only marginally useful: it depends on the size of the cases used and is very subjective.

For example, Dillon claims that their model CV-2001 (12.5 Qt capacity) can clean 1,300 .38/.357 cases, Lyman claims their model 3200 (8.8 Qt capacity) can clean 1,000 9mm cases, while Berry claims their model 400 (3.5 Qt capacity) can clean 1,000 9mm cases!!! To further add to the confusion, Dillon offers a model CV-500, but the only technical information they offer is that it's "smaller" than their CV-2001. <sarcasm>That really tells me a lot.</sarcasm>

So what I would like to know is, what are the physical dimensions of the bowl, the volume of the bowl, and the wattage rating of the motor on the various tumbler models.

Also, I have seen a number of posts that advocate the Dillon tumblers because if they ever fail, the factory will replace them. But Dillon's Web site states that their tumblers only have a one-year warranty on the motors. Anyone care to elaborate?

Bobshouse

I went through the same thing your going through right now and finally went and purchased the Berry's. I can't comment on the others, but Berry's comes with a lifetime warranty and has performed great for me. They also include shipping in the price.

The most I've polished at once has been about 500 pieces of .357 brass and it handled the load with no problems.

Bob

I've owned two of the Lymans. They fell apart in relatively short order. The electrical system, among other things, just isn't very good. I'd stay away from the Lyman's.

I've got a BIG Dillon. Works beautifully. It is BIG but it works just fine. Really like it.

I've also got an RCBS. Mine is the kind that you can use to wash cases. That too works like a charm.

Cases that have been used with blackpowder really need to be washed. The RCBS does that and does it well.

Also I find that if I REALLY want to do the best possible cleaning job that I tumble first and wash second. Between these two I deprime and brush out the primer pockets.

Blarneystone

Or you could build your own like I did!

Actually, I am not recommending this project, but there are a few advantages, one is that I put mine together without comparing it to a store bought model. In comparison, mine is huge. If the Franklin Arsonal tumbler can hold 1000 rounds, mine must be able to hold 5000! P.S. I see no where possible that the Franklin can hold 1000...Unless you are tumbling BBs.

Realistically speaking though, I'd say the amount of money you save is not very much compared to the amount of work involved, unless you have a small metal shop. But the advantages are more control, possibly faster (Mine has cartridges shiny and new looking in about an hour), and maybe more capacity.

From what I've read here, if you are going store bought, go midway - best bang for the buck.

Have fun!
Brad

SpyGuy

Sorry, but size DOES matter

The Midway may be the quietest (a definite plus). But that is not the only criterion for purchase. If the tumbler is too small for my purposes, it really doesn't matter how quiet it is.

O.K., a confession: I will be using this to clean and polish automobile and machine parts so the number of ammo cases the tumbler will hold is irrelevant. I need to be sure it will accomodate parts of reasonable size. (Note: I do pick up my spent brass and may clean it before selling/giving it away, but that is just a side-benefit. It is not the primary purpose for my tumbler.)

I am seeking a mid-sized tumbler. Probably something larger than the 10" bowl of the Midway1292, but smaller than the Dillon CV-2001.

SpyGuy

RCBS dimensions?

Kenneth, could you give me the model # of the RCBS tumbler you have and its dimensions? (Bowl capacity and diameter/height.)

Thanks!

It is called the Sidewinder Case Tumber. They claim it will hold up to 300 38 Special cases or 150 30-06 cases. Kind of looks like the sort of tumbler that rock hounds like. To the best of my knowledge it is the only reloader model that can be used to wash cases. It is probably pictured at either the RCBS or Huntington web site.

If you REALLY want I can go measure it but, well, I'm a bit lazy on a sunday afternoon.

SpyGuy

Thank Kenneth for the info and the offer to measure. No need to trouble yourself--I'm looking for vibratory tumblers, not the rotary type.

OkieGentleman

Did you ever wash your blackpowder cases in the dishwasher with standard dish washing liquid and then tumble them? I have done a few things that way by putting them in a collender and shaking them good between rinses to get all of th old water out. Clean as a whistle knocking out the primers first helps a lot.

Good Guy

I will be using this to clean and polish automobile and machine parts

I suspect that if the parts you intend to clean are solid and have much weight to them, they'll just fall to the bottom of the tumbler and sit there, rather than move with the polishing media like relatively light, hollow brass cases do. Probably not much polishing action in that fashion. A rotary tumbler might be a better proposition for you.