Tulammo?

m17s_guy

anyone have personal experience with tulammo in .223? mainly with the bushmaster ORC....

looking to pick up some ammo for really cheap to start teaching my 2 daughters how to pick up a second target quickly after the first shot, and dont want to spend a crap-ton of money on good ammo thats only going to be shot about 30 yards...

BTW i thought of wolf, but the ORC wont load it about 80% of the time... shoots ok when it does, but when you are practicing fast target aquisition you cant be messing with jams

e3dit for speeeeeling... something my daughters are trying to teach me :)

Mike38

I’ve read on a few gun related internet forums that Tulammo is the exact same stuff as Wolf. Made in the same factory, just boxed differently. So, if Wolf won’t work in your rifle, I doubt Tulammo will.

Both work fine in my AK, but I'm sure an AK is a lot "looser" then a Bushmaster.

greghalliday

I buy a lot of this at Walmart in 7.62x39mm to shoot in my piston AR-15. I really like it because it has a good smooth tip with nothing to catch on the feed ramp or lugs. They are just as reliable as anything else. I also really like Ulyanovsk. They also sell under "Herter's" brand at Cabela's. They are very cheap in 640 round spam cans at Cheaper than Dirt. Just make sure you but the FMJ and not the hollow point versions.
Greg

tAKticool

Yeah I get this at Walmart too, it's the cheapest .223 anywhere around me by far. Also Cheaper than Dirt had/has maybe? some 3.59/box of Russian ammo, real professional looking white box with actually professional/classy looking black font etc. but if you factor in shipping costs, the Tula for ~~ $4.99 a box at Walmart ain't so bad.

Now this stuff , is it cleanest / best for my Bushmaster? Not really. Do I believe I am damaging my Bushmaster? Not at all. And if I really do I will buy a new extractor from BCM or even a RRA Chrome lined BCG.

If I really need to buy a new AR quicker because of this cheap ammo, so be it. if I break a Bushmaster using this ammo, then fine, I will admit Bushmasters suck and I will never buy another. Until that day, I'm shooting cheap ammo outta my favorite Rifle. That would be Tula outta my Busmaster XM15AK.

Quentin2

I have no functioning problems with cheap Tula, Ulyanovsk, Herter's, Wolf in my two 5.56 ARs. It's a little dirty and accuracy is just adequate but you can't argue with the price per shot.

Does it short stroke in your ORC? What's actually happening? If not short stroking, what magazines are you using? A properly running AR should be able to shoot the stuff.

m17s_guy

its a brand new Bushmaster ORC with 1 stock bushy 30rd mag and 1 magpul 30 rd pmag. has the same problem shooting wolf out of both mags regardless if i load 28 or 30 rds.... but ONLY with the wolf ammo. now my bushmaster m17s bullpup i have functions fine with wolf with any mag ive thrown in, so im assuming that the problem is with break in on the ORC, not actually with the ammo itself, because the m17s has had about 300 rem umc rounds run through it before i shot a single wolf steel case in it.

alot of people i have talked to have said the shorter m4 style rifles have more issue with being ammo finicky because they have timing issues because of the shorter gas block running the same action. as for that i could believe it since my full size m17s runs wolf just fine in a 20in barrel but my 16.5 has issues with it.

the main misfeed problem i am having with the wolf in my ORC is the fired casing doesn't clear the slide before it tries to close back up for the next round, but also some mis-feed issues where the tip of the round actually hits the top of the action when being run forward by the slide... again, seems like maybe a timing issue to me, but could be the ammo. im going to the range next weekend and im going to "run it wet" as a couple of the officers i shoot with have suggested and see if it makes a difference

globalsmack

I've had mixed results. I have shot 500 in a day with zero problems from a POF and KAC and on other days nothing but problems. No problems out of a HK sl8 converted to a G36.

Quentin2

...alot of people i have talked to have said the shorter m4 style rifles have more issue with being ammo finicky because they have timing issues because of the shorter gas block running the same action. as for that i could believe it since my full size m17s runs wolf just fine in a 20in barrel but my 16.5 has issues with it...

That's true, steel case doesn't contract as quickly as brass immediately after firing so can be tough to extract from the chamber with some carbine length gas systems. In a midlength or even better the 20"/rifle length gas system there's just a split second more time for contraction and steel case can extract easier. You often see where the extractor rips at the rim if extraction begins too soon.

...the main misfeed problem i am having with the wolf in my ORC is the fired casing doesn't clear the slide before it tries to close back up for the next round, but also some mis-feed issues where the tip of the round actually hits the top of the action when being run forward by the slide... again, seems like maybe a timing issue to me, but could be the ammo. im going to the range next weekend and im going to "run it wet" as a couple of the officers i shoot with have suggested and see if it makes a difference

How about if you put one round of Wolf in the magazine and fire does the extractor pull the casing out of the chamber? Does the casing stay in the upper or barely eject or fly out many feet? Does the bolt lock back as it should? Does the rim of the casing look stripped where the extractor grabs it? Now what happens when there are many rounds in the magazine?

Definitely run your ARs wet like those officers said... You want the bolt and carrier (where it slides in the upper) to be wet. And keep the chamber clean to aid in extraction.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!