Tula ammo follies: Not my first time.

Have used it mostly in SKS and my five AKs. Maybe 2,000-3,000 rds.

In this nice used Sig .40 cal. P229, it has only had two minor issues over 500 rds., and only in the last 100 or so rounds.

Both times the slide never cocked the hammer on the second, fifth or so, round. Obviously (I'm 62 years old) the slide didn't go far enough to push the hammer.

But at .20/rd., it does what it is expected to. Lots of fun! We're not comparing it with 'Rem-chester', Hornady etc. There's an obvious reason why Wolf, Bear etc cost a bit more.

Mike38

I tried Tula in an AK chambered for 5.56. With my reloads this AK will shoot ~2 inch groups at 100 yards. With Tula, I was lucky to hit paper. It did cycle the action, and go bang every time, but that's about all I can say for it.

GarandTd

I have a SAR K2P with something in the neighborhood of 3000 rounds through it. The only failures I have ever experienced in that pistol were with Tula Ammo. In that one 50 round box, I had one total dud and several rounds that fired and ejected, but were too weak to send the slide back far enough to strip the next round from the mag. They sounded wierd too. Enough to make me check for squibs. If nothing else, they were great for failure experience.

MandolinMan

I shoot mostly TulAmmo 9mm these days as I find it for $7.76 a box. Honestly, I can't recall seeing a single malfunction with it in any of my pistols. I have had some issues with it in .223 though.

It's apparent from the reports of Sig engineering and production that it's probably Not any 'system' issue in the gun (P229, .40 cal.). Maybe the recoil spring is slightly stronger than in other used P229s, or was replaced.

What would be rewarding is to be able to state that a gun (such as my Makarovs) operates 100%, over many hundreds of rounds of cheap ammo.

With better ammo, I would imagine that other people who also have Sigs and CZ PO1s can make this claim.

I finally had a single stovepipe jam in a Yugo M59 SKS, using Tula, after over 2,000 rds. of this ammo.

GarandTd

The failures I experienced were the 2nd box of ammo through my pistol. Sometime later I picked up another box to see if that was "the norm" with cheap steel cased ammo. All fired normally with no failures. I lean toward brass case because where I'm at, the savings is not significant with steel cased ammo.

bn12gg

My sole experience with Tula ammo is running it thru the Russian SKS. Dirty but cycles the weapon like a champ. $9.44 plus tax for 40 round box via Walmart. Works !!!

.02 David. :)

jonnyc

I've fired thousands of rounds of TulAmmo, in a bunch of calibers, and recently had my only problem. Fired an M1 Carbine round and apparently there wasn't any flash-hole in the case! I emailed them and had a check for 2 boxes within 3 weeks.

silverbullet6oh

I have fired and still have some Tulammo, with my SD40. I have experienced failure to feeds, but it is very rare for me. The steel casing seems to not run as smooth as the brass.

I also bought some Federal FMJ 180gr with aluminum casing, no wonder that was on clearance. It had some failure to feeds, and slow feeds with my slide due to the material of the casing. I only bought box of 50.

- P

Non-lacquered Tula:
Here's a totally different issue-- .40 S&W in the black box, gray coating on cases. The gun is a 'new'/used Sig P229 (.40), very good-exc. condition, DA/SA.

Twice on rounds after the first shot, the hammer was not cocked. Very tight grip, wrists/elbows.

Certain powder loads must not be strong enough to force the slide to the rear.
Have you seen this happen with Russian ammo? Maybe the recoil spring is too strong for some of the rounds' recoil force.

Last edited:

GarandTd

Ignition Override, that sounds similar to my experience with Tula. I can't remember if the hammer cocked. The rounds didn't sound right so I proceeded to field strip the pistol to check for a barrel obstruction. They didn't seem to have enough power to send the slide back far enough to strip the next round out of the magazine. It was only a couple rounds out of 1 50 round box.

JDBerg

I’ve used the steel-cased .45ACP TulAmmo in my Gen4 Glock 21 and I’ve never had a problem with it, and it’s actually quite accurate. I seem to recall using the 9mm in my Gen3 17 back during the 9mm ammo shortage and I don’t recall having a problem with that either. The real problem is that I don’t know of any indoor ranges that allow use of steel-cased ammo to begin with.

shootniron

I have shot a good bit of it over the years...never had any issue. It is not premium ammo accurate but all of my guns shoot it with acceptable accuracy.

GarandTd: At least we see very consistent reports of the Sig P-series' high quality, regarding both design and production.

With US-made factory ammo, a P229 would probably go for hundreds or thousands of rounds without any operational issue?

Last edited:

m&p45acp10+1

The .380 ACP steel cased stuff feeds ok in my AMT Backup. Accuracy is minute of barn door from the inside with any ammo I put in it.:p

Kvon2

I'm starting to move away from it. The accuracy seems to be okay in my 7.62x39 guns but in any other caliber it is just awful. I've also had issues with the primers and even one case in .308 in which the rim of the cartridge cracked and blew the extractor out of my gun. Good thing I was wearing eye protection!...still hurt.