trying to remove finish and paint

zot

what kind of media do you use?would glass bead work?its the cheapest I could find,its from ,"Eastwood"they have AIR ERASER ABRASIVE 5 POUNDS ,SPOT BLASTER ABRASIVE 3 POUNDS ZIRCONIUM ,SPOT BLASTER ABRASIVE 3 POUNDS GLASS BEAD,
these are the cheapest, others run $100 plus.any help please?

UK2TX

Hello zot,

The choice of media depends both on what is on the object and what the object is made of.

I would recommend looking at http://www.tptools.com/ as they have lots of information available on the media types.

Regards,

UK2TX

swampgator

zot

I recently had the teflon stripped off of my SS Springfield slide. (I was stupid a while back and thought it was the way to go.)

Anyway I found a headstone company locally that did it for free (the boss wasn't around, but he quoted me $10:D )

Check locally for someone who sand/bead blasts, it's cheaper than buying the stuff yourself, plus they do it all the time.

zot

Sam, and all, its a Enfield rifle, its allmost in the white, but in
corners in action area, I have a sandblaster but I'm sure sand would pit it up some,I called a Smith and he said $150 for hot
blue, is that high?he said the hot tank would take everything off,
I was going to try Brownells spray coat in flat black.also smith
said use my oxy-ac to slowly burn grease and oil before trying
spray finish. this rifle is a NO4 MK1, I'm wondering if I have to take the bolt apart before baking and spraying, I'd like the hot blue but the price, is it right? thanks for all replies.

C.R.Sam

Zot, thanks for clearing up the mystry. I'm with you, don't blast it. Rough on surfaces and the bead or sand hides in strange places. I would detail strip the bolt etc. Can get some viscious corrosion goin in hidden places when chemically stripping things.

Bill n a half not bad for really good blue job. Priorities.

Sam

whiskey

I will tell you that you will be happier with the blue job for 150.00, that ain't too high. The spray stuff is cheap and last about like a 10 dollar finish.

johnwill

I'm not sure I'd trust someone that says that proper surface prep is not required for a hot blue job! It's my understanding that any inprefection or surface contamination will show up.

UK2TX

Hello zot,

I would recommend using walnut as the blasting media, it will remove the rust and paint and should leave a light satin sheen to the metal.

As for the replacement finish, didn't some of the Lee-Enfields come with a black paint finish?

Regards,

UK2TX

zot

I'll go with the walnut media,least damaging media out there,
theres just crud, paint in the action area,every where else on the rifle is clean, I'll try bake and spray, if that doesn't work ,then its a $150 hot blue. thanks all for info:)