Trying to remember name of HK rifle....

Skans

Ok, I know this is a stupid question, but I can't remember the name of a particular HK rifle that I used to see a lot of in the late '90's or early '00's. It's the bulky gray all plastic rifle - I used to think they were uglier than sin. What's the name of this rifle?:confused:

Fishbed77

HK SL8

It was the 922(r) neutered version of the G36 rifle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HK_SL8

hk_sl8-1.jpg

Skans

I remember wanting to like it. Never could warm up to it when it came out. I still don't like it. It was HK's answer to Clinton's AW ban.

My mate found an old magazine advertising these for around 2000nzd now youd be lucky to get a second hand one for under 3500nzd. Wish I could go back in time and get a few.
I like the look of them, I think the look nicer without the huge iron sight rail thing

SPEMack618

I remember cutting a picture of one those out of a gun magazine back round about 8th grade or so. I put it in a folder with other cut-out pictures of guns I wanted.

I have no idea what I was thinking at the the time. I can almost rationalize it, because the G-36 has that "ohmygod" so cool feel to it, and then I think about all the German guys I saw carring M-4 pattern rifles and chuckle.

It is just mind boggling how the company behind the G-3 has been reduced to importing that because of various onerous restrictions.

I have heard, though, that the SL-8 is super accurate.

Ozzieman

Welllll, I wouldn’t go so far as saying it’s but ugggly but if you get rid of the stupid top rail and put a scope handle it gets passable ugly. Not something you would want to take to the prom anyway.:eek:
BUT shoot one and you forget the looks.
Its extremely accurate, sub one inch groups are easy but its ammo finicky. Mine likes 62 grain. Light 50’s not so much.
The trigger out of the box was something to else. That good. Its biggest problem is the magazines. Very pricy and the standard are 10 and I did find one 20 rounder that’s longer than an AR’s 30.
Think about a 20 round SINGLE stack and you get the idea. But it can be easily changed for G36 mags.
It might be ugly, but it also has one other problem. You take the thing to the range and you will spend some time answering questions. Every one stops by.
Maybe it came out because of Clinton and I bought one, I like the gun but I still don’t like Clinton and not because of it.

Last edited:

Ozzieman

I think the look nicer without the huge iron sight rail thing
By the way, that top stupid rail, other than the screws, it’s all plastic including the sights. And I never understood the gap between the top rail and the forward upper “stock” spelled plastic,

sailskidrive

I almost bought one used about 7-8 years ago. The ergonomics on it compared to a real G-36 are not that great. Additionally, the stupid neutered single stack magazine is not easy to find. Over on the the HkPro forum there used to be some guys could convert it to a 922r compliant G36 like configuration.

I passed on one of these and instead bought the MR556A1. Now I wish I had just often them both. I did find one on Armslist (within 100 miles of me) for $1800 just a month or so ago. I missed it by one day. But he actually sold it for that.

Fishbed77

I passed on one of these and instead bought the MR556A1.

IMHO, you made the right choice.

Since the MR556A1 marries the G36 gas system with the superior ergonomics of the AR, you've got the best of both worlds.