trying to pick a .45

predator86

well i got a very nice christmas present this year (in the form of a check) and after paying off some bills i have enough left over for a pistol. i went out and looked and i honestly have no clue on what one i want. i definantly want a 1911 .45, but to choose between colt, kimber, springfield armory, wilson, ect.ect.

my question, what is a good .45 that will be dependable and accurate in the 600-800 dollar range??

i kinda wanted the wilson at first but i wasnt sure if it was really worth the 2000 dollar price tag...is it worth it?

thanks for the help guys!!

PeterGunn

Smith & Wesson would be at the top of my list given your criteria. I own a SW1911 and have loved it since day numero uno.

I am becoming a big fan of Springfield Armory's loaded series.

Check out the Champion model if you want a great range gun or even the Ultra Compact if you want a carry gun. :)

predator86

yeah ammo isnt included in that....i got a little bit put away so i can stock up on ammo....

are there any certain characteristics of the different .45 clones? and why are there so many clones??

sholling

S&W would be my first choice in that price range, and the Springfield Armory Loaded would be my second. Both are fine pistols but on average the fit and finish of the S&W will be a tad better, and the S&W's trigger will usually be head and shoulders better. I own both brand and find the S&W rides better/sits lower in my hand as well. Both also include lifetime warranties and world class customer service. Something that Kimbers (I own one of them to) lack.

Last edited:

thug23

I just spent about an hour today looking at 1911 .45 pistols and held a few different brands and have to say that the S&W was my personal pick. The price was fair and the gun felt great as far as fitting my hand and not being too heavy. Really nice gun. Nothing against the other brands (they had numerous Colt and Para) but the S&W was it !;)

Socrates

Colt commander. Hate the designer beavertails...

I own a Kimber Custom II. Buy that you get a match grade barrel slide frame, and 2.95 MIM parts. Unlike the other Kimbers, you get what you pay for.

If you can find a Wilson, Ed Brown, Detonics, or CZ 1911 for the right price, grab it. Little or no MIM, and expensive.

Wildalaska has some great prices on Colts.

In other words, save a few bucks...