Trying to learn about reamer pilots

BumbleBug

I've never chambered a rifle barrel before, but I am trying to learn how. Please explain somethin' to a complete noob. I've been study about chamber reamers & I noticed they come in types with either a "fixed" pilot or a "live" pilot. The live pilot makes perfect sense to me, but the fixed pilot is cheaper & seems to be more available. Is the fixed for roughing & the live for finishing? If not, is one preferred over another for specific jobs?

TIA...

...bug :confused:

Dixie Gunsmithing

Moderator Emeritus
A live pilot is used by some for the last portion of the job, where the pilot would ride on working rifling, as it is made to turn freely, and not against the lands. It can be the only reamer, but is considered weaker, but better for close tol., and fine finish.

Solid and live pilots are both used on finishing reamers. The live pilot reamers cost more. The live pilot can be used to within half a thousandth of the bore diameter of the barrel blank, where a solid pilot normally is ground one or two thousandths narrower than nominal bore diameter. This is to ensure fairly universal fit and to ensure enough clearance for a lubricating film of oil or cutting fluid to surround the pilot and allow it to slip freely inside the lands during cutting.

That description makes it sound like the live pilot has a significant advantage, until you remember it needs its own additional clearance between the pilot and the reamer for rotation. That is a pair of precision ground surfaces, allowing them to keep an oil film more concentric, so it's got the potential to be a little bit more true running than a solid pilot. I'm just pointing out that its not as much better as you'd think at first consideration of the matter.

The main advantage to the live pilots is you can get them in multiple sizes, so you can select one that best matches the particular blank you are cutting. I have one in .30-06 with a set of pilots and with oil grooves for through-bore lubrication on my lathe. I've found that in finish reaming less expensive grade barrel blanks, the ability to select the right pilot gave me tighter bore axis alignment. However, if I have a hand-lapped barrel blank with the groove diameter within a couple ten thousandths of nominal, and a solid pilot that has the tighter 0.001" clearance (you can normally get a reamer maker to give you what you want if you order direct) the advantage of the live pilot over solid gets a little more fuzzy.

James K

Member In Memoriam
For ordinary chambering, the fixed pilot cuts an average throat and that will be fine for 99% of the jobs and the bullets to be used in that caliber. As Uncle Nick says, the live pilot gives a lot of flexibility for those special jobs but for the normal chambering job has little if any real advantage.

I suggest buying a fixed pilot reamer and approach the job with care, as you seem to be doing. Once you get more experience, you may be better able to take advantage of better equipment. (If you are just learning to drive, buying a Lamborghini might not be a wise move!)

Jim