Trying to find an old revolver

RimfireChris

Hey all, I used to have an older .22 revolver, I belive it was called the High Standard Sentinel, but I may be off on the High Standard part. Anyway, it was a ten shot alloy frame revolver. I've looked but haven't found in online or a brick and morter store. I'd really like to find one, do they ever come up on auction or has anyone seen one before?

psyfly

Part of the "Double Nine" series of revolvers produced over a farily long run by the old High Standard Company in Hamden, I believe. Don't know when they stopped making them, but it's been a while.

Nine-shot double-action .22 and two or three barrel lengths.

They show up on the market from time to time in conditions varying from barely working to excellent. The latter are usually pretty good shooters and accurate, or can be made so. I've owned a couple and still have one.

Parts are (someone correct me if I'm wrong) virtually non-existent.

Best,

Will

HEAVYDUTY77

Hi-standard info

My wife absolutely will not shoot anything except a .22 due to her apprehension of the recoil /noise of other pistols or revolvers in any reasonable caliber! Rather than go without any protection, I obtained an almost new Model R-108 snub nose Hi-Standard Sentinel on the Gun Broker site. I liked the idea of having nine shots available without her having to reload. (By the way, HKS does make a nine shot speedloader that is listed for use in the H&R 9-shot and Taurus 94 revolvers; it works perfectly with the Sentinel).

The Hi-Standard Sentinel was manufactured by the High Standard company (yes, the spelling is correct....the company name was High Standard; the revolver was called Hi-Standard!) introduced in the mid 1950's and was quite advanced for its day. It had an aluminum alloy frame, rebounding hammer (with a safety block), and a nine chamber cylinder that was counter-bored for the cartridge rims and notched above each chamber to permit dry firing without damaging the firing pin. The ejector on the early models required manual retraction to the at rest position before you could close the cylinder but later models had a spring return added to automatically return the ejector to the at rest position. The fit, finish, and workmanship are quite good considering it was originally an "economy" priced revolver. The DA trigger pull is crisp but a bit stout (to me); however, the SA pull is very nice. On the range it turned out to be very accurate and a pleasure to shoot.

High Standard also manufactured these revolvers for Sears & Roebuck (under the J.C. Higgins name) and Western Auto Stores. Here is a link to a site with more information www.unblinkingeye.com/Guns/Sentinel/sentinel.html and another one to obtain parts www.cyberfieds.com/Armatt/Rev.html.

HD77

RimfireChris

Thanks everyone, I'll be keeping on the lookout then. With parts being that scarce, I'll just have to turn down any non-runners I guess. It was 9 shot, don't know why I was thinking ten for some reason.

Glenn Dee

I know someone who has, maybe had one. If your still looking for one. BarbieZ is a forum member. Maybe if you shoot her an P/M she can help you.

don95sml

Maybe my memory is failing me, but I once had a revolver that I swear was a Hi-Standard Sentinel, .22LR caliber, with a 3" barrel. And I believe it only carried 6 rounds. Can anyone confirm seeing such a gun? I traded it in for something else because the barrel was twisted at about a 5 degree angle counterclockwise (looking from the rear).

gyvel

RimFireChris, I have owned a few High Standard Sentinals in my day and they were fun guns to shoot and reasonably elegant looking as well. But...In this day and age, they fall into the category of guns for which parts are extremely hard to find. I can understand your wanting to recreate a pleasant past experience, but you would be better off purchasing a newer gun for which parts are still available.

Murray56

High Standard Mark IV

How strange to find this thread one day after purchasing a Sentinel MarkIV just yesterday.

Found a very good condition 9 shot 22mag for $250. For the longest period I have wanted a 22 revolver. Just for something else to shoot, and for the ladies when they do desire to tag along.

I also own a Model 103 Sport King. The Mark IV will be a nice compliment to my 22 collection.

My understanding is that some of these came with a 22LR cylinder as well. Anyone having knowledge of one for sale would be helpful.

MC Murray

Last edited: