trying to decide

Texas Reb

I'm considering whether to get a cap and ball or cartridge SA Revolver. I've recently gotten interested in Cowboy Action Shooting. I plan on watching a few matches before I try my hand at it though. I've been looking for a stainless 1851 navy in .36, but I can't find one. Cabela's has a stainless navy but it's in .44. A buddy of mine to me to forget cap & ball and get a 357 Ruger Vaquero. I've held both and to be honest, I liked them both.

If anyone is wondering why I want stainless, it's just because I like the look. I thought maybe someone else might have been in the same boat and could give me their opinion.

btw, this is my first post and I'm from North Texas.

deerslayer303

Welcome to the site. Plenty of good folks to help you here. I can't offer any advice to you, because I would say you can never have just one or one type of Revolver :D

Rigmarol

Welcome sir!

I have to say it isn't a matter of which one. You'll end up with both eventually!

To keep things simple you might want to go with a cartridge revolver and go to a Cap and Ball later. There is a bit more prep between stages with CnB revolvers. And you'll be using bullets for your rifle anyway. Might as well get your feet wet with a little less to do in between stages.

Also, caps (at least around here) are very difficult to find and buy. 100 here, 200 there... you might find enough for a match with some careful shopping and searching, but it might be difficult for a bit longer until things even out.

I love shooting both in CAS. I shoot .45colt Dragoons with either the CnB cylinders or my Kirst cartridge conversion cylinders for shooting hand loads.

Good luck, have fun in the search but I'm sure you'll like it and own both one day.

Hawg

Where C&B revolvers are concerned if the ad doesn't specifically say stainless it's just polished steel.

g.willikers

To keep things simple you might want to go with a cartridge revolver and go to a Cap and Ball later.
The stress of a match is enough on its own, without additional hassles.
Like hearing your name called as next shooter and realizing that you've been yakking it up instead of loading your cap and ball shootin' irons.

AKexpat

I Got A Pietta Navy .36

From Cabela's over the holidays for $200. I am pleased with it as a shooter but there are a few minor grip fitting issues and the wedge is EXTREMELY tight.
A minor problem: I'll just have to knock it back and forth until it slides easily by hand and possibly re-blue the wear marks.

Hawg

Don't be driving it in too deep. It should be just past flush on the right side. Usually you only have to take it out a few times until it installs and removes with thumb pressure.