Trying to build a historical desk mueseum

SgtMeatballs

Ok, so I'm trying to build a small desk topper with a timeline of military assault rifle rounds (inert of course). My idea is to start off with the .30 carbine, then the 7.92 kurz, then 7.62x39, then 7.62x51, then 5.56x45, and finally the 5.45x39. Is that a good solid history for military assault rifle rounds and in that order? I'm going to make a nice cherry wood base and inlay the caliber titles and country of origin. Finally encasing it in glass.

pesta2

The chemicals in the wood from curing and or stains can have an adverse effect on the cartridges. When I first started collecting I would keep my collection in a new wood took box. All the cartridges started to get a reddish stain to them. I asked around with some other guys in the IAA and they told me to never store cartridges in wood unless it is an older piece that has had time for the chemicals and gasses to get out of it. They said only to store in metal or plastic. So now all my collection is stored in plastic tubes and bins.

SDC

It depends on what you want to classify as an "assault rifle"; a good case can be made that the FIRST "assault rifle" was the Fedorov Avtomat, in 6.5mm Arisaka (selective-fire, reduced-power cartridge).