Trouble shooting my Pocket Positive

greenacres

I bought a Colt Pocket Positive with 2 ½" barrel that appears to be in excellent condition. I bought a couple boxes of S&W 32 Long cartridges and today I shot it for the first time. I am a very good shot using full size hand guns, but I'm having trouble being able to shoot accurate with this little pistol.

This is the first time I have ever shot such a small pistol, or a pistol without a rear sight; so I lined up the tip of the front sight in the groove on top of the gun and shot about a 1" group about 2 ½" low and 1" to the left. This was terrible, so I tried holding more of the front sight above the groove to raise the shots, but then shot too high and a larger group. I used up 24 Magtech wadcutter cartridges trying to figure out where to hold the sight to be able to hit the bullseye but I ended up with shots all over the target. Then I tried a few Winchester lead round nose cartridges and they shot a little higher and therefore closer to the bullseye. By that time I was very frustrated and quit. I was shooting at a distance of 25 feet.

Normally if I have a pistol that shoots low, I file down the front sight until it shoots where I aim. But before I file down the sight, thought I would ask if maybe there is some trick I don't know about with shooting this little gun?

Also I consider a 1" group at 25 feet to be poor shooting, but I'm hoping that with more practice I can improve that.

I'm frustrated with this. Looks like I'm going to have to shoot a lot of ammo before I'll be able to hit a bullseye with this gun. Anybody here with experience shooting a Colt Pocket Positive?

greenacres

I'm going to have to buy more ammo for this gun real soon, and I'm thinking of getting PCI brand 32 S&W Long RNFP. Has anyone used this? And is it accurate?

dahermit

Holy Poop!!!! A one inch group with a 2 -1/2 inch barrel! What more could you expect with that barrel length and just a groove for a rear sight? You were kidding right?

greenacres

I'm not kidding. So this is the best I should expect to do with this gun? Please excuse my ignorance, but I have never shot a pistol with this short a barrel before. I guess I'll just file down the front sight some, and not expect to get any better accuracy.

Slopemeno

Keep in mind youre new to the gun. Chances are when you're more familiar with it you'll be able to tighten those groups up. Certainly not a bad starting point.