Trouble in paradise? SIG P239 won't chamber SD ammo

CortJestir

Soooooooooo...the honeymoon is over with my new P239 SAS 9mm and we've had our first fight. :eek:

After putting through 350 rounds of 115gr FMJ plinking rounds, I wanted to try out some of my preferred SD ammo which is 147gr Hornady TAP JHPs. They won't chamber when I rack the slide. Well, at least the first round in an 8 round magazine. It happens with both stock magazines that came in the box. Sometimes it happens when I rack the slide with only 7 rounds but it seems to happen less frequently with fewer rounds in the mag.

I'm gonna head out tomorrow to get some different SD ammo to try. Until then, any other ideas, thoughts, or recommendations? (And no, I'm not getting another gun. :D :D )

As always, thanks,
CJ

Smaug

When you're looking at other SD ammo, look for rounds with rounder noses.

I had the same issue with Remington Golden Saber for my old Bersa. It was a shame, to waste that money without knowing.

I think you should poll P239 owners and try what they recommend. (rather than buy ammo after ammo $$$$)

CortJestir

Hey, thanks Smaug. Luckily, I had some extra Hornady TAPs just sitting in a box (rather than dropping another $25 or so on a new box). I use them in my P226 which loves them. Looks like they'll only be used in the 226 from now on.

Good idea on polling folks -- you probably saved me a few bucks -- esp. at the prices for SD ammo these days. :barf:

Amendtwo

My finicky 9x19's all work well with 2 "old-fashioned" loads: the Remington 115 JHP +P and the Federal Classic 115 gr. standard pressure JHP (C9BP).

CortJestir

Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

Just an update. Bought some JHPs at the most readily available place to me (Wal-Mart) to see if the gun would even cycle JHPs. I bought some Remington UMC 115gr and WWB JHPs in 147gr. They both chambered fine. Next time at the range, I'll run each box through.

I'm hoping this is just a fluke with the Hornady TAPS which, upon further inspection, have a very wide opening for the hollow point and a not-so-round bullet shape as compared to the Remington UMC and WWB.

To be continued...

CortJestir

Update

Here's a quick update for those who are following this thread:

I ran 50 rounds of Remington UMC 115gr JHPs - all fed and cycled fine. Pretty accurate ammo too! I also ran 100 rounds of Winchester 147gr JHPs - two rounds would not chamber. They were consecutive rounds. I also was able to get a hold of 20 rounds of Speer Gold Dots in the 115gr flavor. These all fed and cycled fine. So another 170 rounds through the P239 yesterday - all JHPs and standard pressures - with 2 failures to feed.

I'm starting to think (and hope) it was just the Hornady TAP ammo. Before I can carry the P239 with 110% confidence, I'm gonna run as much Speer Gold Dots as I can find and afford. I'd like to find and test the 124gr +p flavor.

roadrash

My P239 9mm cycles fine with Federal 147 gr.HST and any other load I have fed it to date!Have never tried the TAP though.

Mine was purchased new in 2003.