Trouble Finding .44 Special

TX_RGR

Hi guys. Have any of you have found a nice SWC load that travels at a decent velocity commercially? I am thinking 230-250 grains, and at least 800 fps? Is the reason I am having a hard time because I am unrealistic? I am not a reloader, and I am not a ballistician by a long shot, so I am not sure if this is just asking too much. I know that Keith's load exceeds these specs, but would be "too much of a good thing" for the charter snubby i want to fire it through. I caught a rumor that Remington had a 240 grain SWC that might fit the bill, but can't seem to find any of this elusive ammo anywhere. Any ideas? TIA,

TX

Ozzieman

I carry a charter arms bull dog myself

And what I found best is Winchester Silvertips for carry, there not heavy bullets but they do reliabiliy open up to over 3/4 of an inch in water.
If your looking for some thing to plink thats factory lead, go with some of the cowboy loads there 240 and around 800 in a 4 inch.
Sorry cant be more help, I do agree that you should load, its really not that hard and the expence can be paid off in just a couple of years.
Single stage loader and you can load a couple of hundred in hours.

TX_RGR

Too hot?

Thanks for the responses guys. I know of Midway, and I took a long look at their Keith SWCs. Thing is, they are apparently using the Keith load for this thing too! 1000 fps behind a 255 grain hunk of lead. woah. :eek:

I have my doubts about the safety in an alloy pistol (albeit with a steel frame). BB didn't do a whole lot to dissuade me:

This Heavy .44 Special ammunition can be fired in every .44 Special or .44 Magnum gun made EXCEPT CHARTER ARMS .44 SPECIAL BULLDOG.

That's what they post on their website, concerning this load. Any chance they might mean the newer ones, not the older version that I have? Or would it make any difference? I don't see how the bulldog is the only one that cant handle it with so many alloy frame and ultra light pistols out there.

Rojoe67

Give Charter a call or an email and ask them if they have done anything to beef up the 44. Seems like most companies that want to grow and continue would try to improve the product. I think Charter has had a few ownerships over the past and likely things might be tight on new and improved for those same reasons? I have looked and thought hard about them and moved towards others.... Now, ammo speaking I think Cor-Bon might have both a sparky PP product and a Powerball as well?

Yep,
165g. JHP 1150/485.......that is stout 44 spl. #20 pack for about 17.00 on the CorBon site....... Not the ammo to go plinking with for sure$$$

No Powerball stuff listed......

I don't think you would want that stout flame in your Bulldog? Sorry, my info isn't what you might want to have heard...... :( ???

www.corbon.com

Sorry again, just read your initial post again and you were not looking for JHP....... opps......

TX_RGR

I guess my reasoning is that unless Charter somehow manufactured their frames or cylinders in a radically different fashion from the rest of the world, then they should hold up to max saami loads. Are the cylinder walls just uncommonly thin on these things? I wonder if a couple of them didn't blow to have Buff. Bore come out and say that the way they did. hmm :confused:

I thought maybe I should add why I am looking for the heavy swc at a decent velocity. Since hollowpoints dont expand reliably, and often when they do, penetration is greatly reduced, i thought, why not just go with a big heavy chunk of lead and know that its going to give you 12" or better every time out even through different barriers. I reasoned that a .44 hole is not bad by itself. Guys carry 9mm and dream of a .44 size hole with penetration like that through various media. I guess I could add that the .44 shortys seem to shoot better with heavier rounds also. And FWIW, if theres any "energy dump" scholars in the house, I think the 255 grainer would be bringing its lunch pail. What do you guys think? Too conservative?

jonathon

that miwall stuff is pretty accurate out of my Super Blackhawk. It burns DIRTY though, and is really smokey.

somerled

Magtech, PMC and probably some other companies offier 240 grain FP lead cowboy loads. Those loads would be mild enough for the Charter Arms. I had one once but handloaded for it. I did use some Winchester Silvertips and the Federal 200-grain lead HP in it. They shot a little low in my particular revolver.

Pointer

I think the .44 Special is limited to velocities that won't pull uncrimped bullets from their casings.

Factory used to be 760 fps.

That probably dates me... :D