trouble extracting cases from cylinder after shooting

longeyes

I have an S&W 442. I've noticed that in the last few range sessions I'm having trouble getting the spent shells out of the cylinder easily. They seem to be sticking, or at least some are, requiring some pulling; they certainly don't just fall out as they do with my Colt Lawman Mk III. I thought I'd been keeping this gun clean and lubed. What's up with this and what should I do to rectify the problem? I do use a nitro solvent on bore and cylinders along with BreakFree CLP. I almost shoot fmj rounds for target practice, by the way.

swifter...

If you've left oil in the chambers, thast could cause it. Try patching them out with lighter fluid before shooting.
If that doesn't work, have a 'smith polish the chambers.
This presumes you are not using a chamber-jugging load, and that your brass is of the correct length...:D

Tom

Nick96

It may simply be a matter of the cylinder heating up after a few shots thus consrticting on the shells. Some loads are also dirtier than others, so there may be some residue due to this as well.

The extractors are pretty short in J frames too - so the shells aren't going to be pushed all the way out as with a larger frame revolver.

BigG

I've noticed that with the increased availability of cheap ammo the sticking cases have increased.

Before I polished anything, if I was shooting Sellier and Bellot or any other cheaper ammo, I would try another brand. Remington UMC or Winchester or Federal all makes cheap ammo that works well. Foreign ammo IMHO is a crap shoot.

One of my snubbies was seizing up with S&B. I switched to the exact same load with Federal and voila, they came out with no difficulty.

I would try a different brand of ammo. HTH

jimmy

I've also had a problem with hard extraction in one of my S&W revolvers. I shipped the gun to the S&W factory service department, which polished the chambers at no charge--a definite improvement.

If rough chambers are the problem, then having the factory make the repair is, to me, the way to go.

xcop

case sticking

you have a very short ejector stroke on the 442. The power to eject is reduced. If you are using reloads, it is possible that some of the loads are a little on the warm side, with brass that has seen better days. This could cause the brass to swell up more than normal and with the shorter ejector make it harder. If you make sure that the chambers are dry before shooting and you find hard extraction with factory ammo (no +p+ , cor bon etc)then I would agree with a prior post that your chamber walls are probably rough. In that case if in warranty send it to Smith. If out of warranty any gunsmith could do it.

longeyes

Thanks for all the replies.

I was shooting only factory ammo, PMC and Winchester (white box), fmj's. I'll try some other brands next time and see if there's a difference.

Is it possible, though, that this is just a case of overheating? Are these small j-frames more susceptible to heat? I put 100 rounds through the 442 in that session--does that seem like a lot for a gun of this type?

ENC

Not due to heat!

If you have a metal plate with a hole in it and heat up the plate the hole gets bigger as the plate does. The cylinders will get larger if heat is causing the metal to fluctuate size at all.

D.W. Drang

"You have to whack the ejector rod pretty hard to eject the cases, especially on a snubby with a short rod, and/or shooting relaods, and/or hot loads.
"You get extra points if you hit it so hard you start bleeding."

longeyes

ENC

Makes sense. Must be dirty cylinders then. I'll apply more elbow grease to the ejector rod (although the thing looks a bit fragile, frankly). This isn't a handgun I plan on shooting that much anyway.