Trophy Guns!

roy reali

You have heard the saying trophy wife. It usually describes some rich guys super hot wife. She may not have more then a half dozen working brain cells, but she looks good. Eye candy if you will.

Does anyone here have a trophy firearm? It is a gun you bought for aesthetic reasons. You didn't buy it for any particular shooting purpose, it might not even serve a use for you, but it was your eye candy. It pleases your eyes even though it hurt your bank account.

I had one such rifle years ago. It was a custom made Mauser chambered in 6.5/06. The stock was elegant. The blueing was like old Colts used to have. I had a scope on it with all the bells and whistles. I even purchased a fancy sling for the darn thing. I was approaching late model sedan prices with all the money I sank into it.

I wish I still had the darn thing.

Dilbert

Pretty much everything I buy is because I like the way it looks. I've got a couple good carry guns, a nice hunting rifle, and a good 22, most of my requirements are met. I got my other 3 ARs because I like how they look, same with my USP Match, Colt Delta, and M1 Garand. I think the one that is the most impractical for me though is the blued Ruger Number 1 in 375 H&H Mag. I've had it about a year now and I don't think I've shot it 10 times. Or it could be the Marlin 1895. I've owned it fora bout 2 years now and haven't shot it at all.

mikejonestkd

I only have one that is a trophy/ safe queen...an anschutz 1710D KL meister grade with a swarovski Z3 scope...I have more into that rifle than any other one I have and I'm am too fearful to get a ding on the stock....so it stays in the safe...

Jo6pak

The closest thing I own to a "trophy gun" is my Ruger Red Label. I've always wanted a nice O/U shotgun, so I saved for quite a while and bought it. It only goes to the trap and sporting clays, and I baby it a bit. I just can't bear taking it busting brush for grouse or bumping around in a goose blind. I took it pheasant hunting once, but was so concerned about marring it, that I haven't taken it afield since.:eek:

dawico

Smith & Wesson TRR8. I love it. I shoot the heck out of it, and it is beautiful. And I'll admit it, I don't need it at all.

Standing Wolf

Member in memoriam
Most of my Pythons are trophy guns. I actually carry only a couple of them now and then. Once upon a time, I fell in love with a Python, but told myself I couldn't afford it, and so bought a lesser gun and kept wanting the Python.

Two ironies:

1. I earned the money to buy Pythons when I lived in California, which prohibited "importing" them from other states.
  2. By the time I finished acquiring nearly all the Pythons I wanted, my arthritis got so bad I can rarely shoot them.

Moral of story: buy what you really want or do without rather than what you can afford: you'll just pay more for what you really want later.

nathaniel

I have one Its my Puma Model 92 in 357 mag. I bought it cause it has amazing wood and the stainless steel just looked beautiful. It turns out its one of my best shooting guns and I use it just about every day. So I guess you could call it a redneck trophy wife, its pretty and it works.

RaySendero

Customized 1941 Winchester M70:

000_1791.JPG

270_WinM70_012210_5.jpg

When it comes to pistols here, what you are calling trophy guns are what we call BBQ guns...guns carried for show at social gatherings such as BBQ partying.

For cops, their trophy guns are what are sometimes called "court" guns...guns worn for show when having to testify in court.

Jeep5

My grandfather bought his .300 Savage new in 1938 and hunted with it until he couldn't.

I was fortunate enough to be his huntin' buddy and inherited the rifle several years ago and take to the whitetail woods of Idaho now and then. It is going hunting this November.

It is a trophy rifle to me. I have a question for you all. I have carefully stripped the stock to bare walnut and want to finish it for looks and protection. Tung oil is an option also boiled Linseed oil. I want the original look and feel and lean towards the Linseed oil.

I appreciate any and all advise on this.

Thanks to all !