• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

TROLLS and their Elimination

Gila Jorge

I am thinking in particular about one styled as
"unamused" under the "assume everyone lives in texas" string. On other boards this guy would be eliminated and certainly not fed as currently is the case. Just curious.....?

Gila-
Chill. :)
This Member has not violated any of the Policies of this site, that I can see.. More important are the following two facts:
1) Counterpoint is essential to demonstrate Point
2) We've had several staunch anti-self defense types come here, be converted and go forth to prosper...some were actually from the Rosie Boards! (Sandy, are you lurking?)

TFL is not a clubhouse. It's an info site. Personally, I like the fence-sitter and anti registrations the best. :D

Fred Hansen

This may be slightly O.T. but I was just about to post a thread asking where the ignore button is. I understand that some people enjoy arguing with people who are obviously here only to make trouble. God bless and keep you all, but I have no desire to bang my head against the wall with people that have been trolling TFL/THR for years.

So, if someone could point me to the ignore button for certain members, I would be very, very happy.

TheBluesMan

Moderator Emeritus
Fred,

Just find a post by that person, and click on their username. Select "View Public Profile" and the ignore option is there in one of the headers (in the middle).

Alternately, you can go into your User CP and manually enter their names into your ignore list. Don't forget to "Save."

-Dave

cma g21

"So, if someone could point me to the ignore button for certain members, I would be very, very happy."

Click on User CP.
Click on Buddy / Ignore Lists (Under Miscellaneous).
Add name(s) to be ignored.

edited to add: I've got to learn to type faster, TheBluesMan beat me to it. :eek:

Fred Hansen

Perfect! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
partysmiley.gif

Greg L

Ok, so what does the "ignore" feature do? Does it remove their posts from the thread that you are viewing (while leaving them there for everyone else)? I would think that could get confusing if other people in the thread are arguing with/quoting him.

Never tried it, just curious.

Greg

TheBluesMan

Moderator Emeritus
The ignored user's name still shows up in the thread, but these words replace his post: "This message is hidden because {username} is on your ignore list." There is a link supplied in each post that lets you view it in case you change your mind.

And yes, it would get confusing when other members quote the missing post.

joab

Personally I think the "trolls" are a valuable source of information. Or more to the point they generate discussions that provide me with valuable arguements to counter those I meet in real life that share their opinions.
I say troll on it always helps to know what the other sides thinks, and if I wanted to go someplace where every body agreed with everything I said I would stay at home with the toddlers

Ben Swenson

joab,
I think there is an important difference between people who hold and defend opinions that we may not like or agree with and trolls. "Troll" tends to refer to individuals who post a contentious or offensive post and then run away, or defend their post by being even sillier.

For instance, someone who posts on here saying "I want to make a machine gun to murder babies like all NRA members do." would be a troll.

Agricola, on the other hand, is someone who I may not agree with, and who holds views that I think can be downright silly, but defends his position factually and logically and doesn't just post to irritate people. Thus, he's not a troll in my book.

Ironbarr

"Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer."

We sometimes find a way to convert the naysayers, particularly after they've had a bad day.