Tritium Replacement Help

Lurch37

I have a Valmet 76 with dim night sights. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a place to send the sights to in order to get the tritium replaced if thats possible. Or can a person do this himself and if so, where would one go to buy the tritium vials?

Thanks!

raindog

Just a suggestion - have you talked to Trijicon, Tru-Glo, or Meprolight? Or whoever made your night sights?

I personally would not want to handle tritium, which is a health hazard if ingested or absorbed by your skin. If memory serves, typical night sights are tritium gas with a phosphor coat...seems rather high tech for home servicing. But I'm just speculating...I would call the manufacturer, as I'm sure they get this question frequently.

brickeyee

Even if the sights are dim, there is still tritium present. Just not enough.

Tritium has a half life of about 12 years, so only half of the initial amount is gone 12 years later when the sights look dim.

It is easy enough to put the vials into a drilled hole.

The problem is getting the old ones out without exposing yourself to the gas remaining in them.

Lurch37

Just a suggestion - have you talked to Trijicon, Tru-Glo, or Meprolight? Or whoever made your night sights?

That's not an option in my case as the Valmet was made in Finland and I have no idea who manufactured the night sights for them.

brickeyee

I don't want to handle it either so I was hoping there was a place that a person could send it too and have them replace them with new vials. The rifle is at least 20 some years old and the sights are very dim.

Thanks!

chris in va

Like he said, call the three nightsight companies and see what they say. You could probably just send the slide or sights to them and have it replaced.

oldcspsarge

Call Trijicon...they are usually quite helpful and accomodating.

Federal Law requires a NRC license to handle/posess/install Tritium tubes...so you must deal with one of the few licensees to accomplish your goal.

Lurch37

a7mmnut

I have the AK style. I am going to contact Trijicon and see what, if anything I can do.

Thanks!