Tristar C100 Review/Range Report

Kevin_d77

I thought I would take a little bit of time to do a review/ range report of my new Tristar C100. This is an alloy version, Turkish clone of the CZ Compact. It has a frame mounted safety (no decocker) and comes with 2-15rd magazines.

Tristar is an importer of the Canik line of Turkish guns. The Canik line is produced in a NATO qualified facility. They produce a line of CZ clones including both full size and compact versions as well as a full size/ compact versions of the Baby Eagle. All models appear to be available in all steel and light weight alloy versions as well. Because I currently own (and love) the old steel Baby Eagle, I couldn't justify buying a clone of that model and buying a full size real CZ or even a clone didn't make a ton of sense for me, I decided to go with the lightweight alloy compact version.

4cffaac0a9ebdd9c111a933e07425426.jpg

The 9mm C100 has a 3.9 barrel, 15+1 round capacity and weighs in at 1.53 lbs.

d5ec0b29ac40846b6a45fff80a48f848.jpg

Breakdown is typical of the CZ and variants

IMAG1630.jpg

Close up view

2a8dd28d82724b7a835be660dfadce4d.jpg

The main complaint I have so far is the sights (or lack thereof). I will be replacing them w sights for the CZ Compact as most pieces are interchangeable.

IMAG1628.jpg

Performance wise, the DA trigger was long and gritty. Fortunately, Cajun Gun Works has already made a spring kit and hammer pins that greatly improves the overall feel of the DA. The spring, pins and punch cost about $20 shipped for their website. They also offer a race hammer that improves the SA as well but I haven't decided to do this as of yet. Installing the spring kit and pins is advertised to reduce the DA pull by 40% and it certainly feels much better.

As far as shooting, I really enjoy this little gem. The CZ style frame to slide lock-up is a joy to shoot. It's is a lightweight pistol but still handles the recoil quite well, including 124gr +p Golden Sabres (as shown below). The picture shown is 30rds at 10 yards (I know I am no sharpshooter, I am still learning this gun as we speak.)

IMAG1618.jpg

Overall I have put around 350 rounds down range so far and I am really happy with this pick up. The total price for this gun was $360 including transfer etc. Add $20 for the kit and $75 for the VZ grips I installed and this was the best $450 I have ever spent on a new gun. Can't beat the value. And due to the similarities to the CZ compact, parts should be no problem for the foreseeable future.

I realize this is no $1200 1911 or high end Hi-Power, but if you're in the market for a nice bargain weapon that you don't mind getting scratched up and having fun with, you can't beat it. I also made this purchase to try to learn a little bit about gunsmithing as well.

Thanks for taking the time to read my first, very amateurish review. Sorry for the cell phone pictures and scattered thought process. Hope you enjoyed it and I shed a little light on this low priced jewel!

Kevin_d77

Another picture of the C100:

IMAG1613.jpg

Also, as a side note, at the range today I hear quite a loud boom and see about a 4' fireball shoot out two lanes over. Piquing my (and the entire range...) interest, I walked over to see what the commotion was. Yep, Desert Eagle .44 magnum. Quite an impressive gun. Told him I had the little brother over in my lane and offered him to shoot my Baby Eagle 9. He had never seen one and jumped at the offer. He loved it as well. He then returned the favor which I could never pass up that opportunity! I had never shot anything that powerful before and just holding all 4+ lbs of that beast was a drastic change. 2nd shot into the magazine, I guess I let my thumb ride up a little bit too high.....:confused:

IMAG1620.jpg

Damn that hurt but it was totally worth it to fire that thing!

Last edited:

Walter

Kevin, thanks for the review. Good work. I bought a C100 a few weeks ago, still haven't shot it. But I am looking forward to it.

Those grips look great, much better than the plastic grips that come on the gun. I will be looking into a set of those ricky-ticky. :D

Walter

Kevin_d77

Here is the link to the Cajun Gun Works Canik section. Guess I was wrong, looks like it was $30 for the parts and took about 2 hours for me to install since I don't have a) a vice b) the proper tools and c) complete instructions.....but I do know have a much better idea on how the gun works and is out together

http://cajungunworks.com/canik_-_tristar.html

Thanks for the report. I bought the Turkish delight, a Full size Jericho Clone in Matte chrome. These offer higher quality than expected. The D/A trigger is awful, probably 20lbs :eek: The S/A trigger is not to bad. Ive only seen one variant available with a steel frame. I have about 250 trouble free rounds thu it. Mine came with 2 mec-gar 17 rd mags and a Fake Mustache. :cool:

Kevin_d77

6.8 check out the Cajun Gun Works kit. Worked wonders, cheap and easy to install. Well worth it!

Sorry for boring everyone with this report. Just wanted to shed some light on a little know but quality gun.

Shad4532

Tristar

Agree...the Tristar (C-100) is a sleeper and I hope it stays that way...I plan on getting at least 3 more before the prices rise...best 9mm I own and I have many....

The T-120 is alloy framed. I believe the only "all" steel pistol that Tristar offers is http://tristararms.com/pistol-s-120.php There wording on the description page is a little misleading. I know these Caniks are available under other names elsewhere, maybe someone can chime in on another
all steel version.

Shad4532

S-120

Yes you are correct....I also have the Canack 55 S-120 and it is all steel...heavy, but a dream to shoot...

Kevin_d77

Pretty sure I got mine from grabagun.com but I know Buds has them as well. Prices are going up currently but are still reasonable.

Update on mine: have just over 500rds thru it, not one hiccup. Everyone I let shoot it agrees that its a steal for the price. Adding the Cajun Gun Works spring set was a fantastic $30 upgrade and I would highly recommend it.

lagavulin62

I just checked with Bud's and they have it for 362. Trying to get more info from the manufacturer to make sure Bud's is advertising the correct model I want. They never have been all that great with details.

I bought my CZ75 for 450 new. But that was 6 years ago? Problem with CZ is not the price as much as finding them. I notice Tristar offers one in 9x18 but they call it 9x18 ultra. Never heard of that round. You know anything of it?

Tristars site is slow.

Kevin_d77

I have seen fairly recently a full size 75 for a tad under 500 and the compact and PCR for just over 500.

I know nothing about the 9x18 ultra. Keep looking around, they're still relatively cheap but I bet that magazine article ruined any chances of them staying that way.

lagavulin62

I was thinking of the same thing. They can't compete with CZ unless they are a good deal lower in my opinion. But then again I'm a committed CZ guy. Still this looks like a nice one.

Kevin_d77

Grabagun currently has one for $345 w $6 shipping. And although it says 13rd mags, mine are 15rd as are every other review I have read regarding the gun

dallascj

I have been seeing these recently at Academy for $329. I have 2 and bought them before the craze when Academy had them for $300. Great guns and well worth the money. I have also since bought the T100, T120 in chrome, and L120. IMO Bud's has gone off the deep end in their pricing and is no longer my go-to source. I can beat Bud's prices at every LGS in my area.