Tripped over a a Beretta .380 today

topspin43

Went out looking for a .380 for my girls to shoot (they prefer .380 over 9mm and was thinking Bersa ) when...

...I came across and purchased a used Beretta 84F-P today, at a mom and pop store, that has never been fired. It came with 2 mags (13 round), box, papers and cleaning rod in pristine condition. Paid $349 out the door, all in. Felt that I couldn't pass it up. Everytime I see one one of these pistols they were listed for high dollars so I never considered it. I have a couple questions for the experts.

My questions for the experts.

1. Good price?
2. What's the difference between this and a Cheetah? Just the 13 round mag vs 10?

I haven't found much info on these handguns.

Thanks,
Tony

lamarw

I believe you did very well. You certainly did better than having a Bersa. I own both and know the Beretta is a far superior pistol. Blue Book shows value at a couple of hundred more than you paid if in 100% condition. The Models 84, 85, 86, and even the .22 ca. Model 87 are all considered Cheetahs.

PSP

I paid $350 of a Beretta 84fs a few years ago, but it was used and much carried. I'd say you got a great deal. The usual price you see is $400-500 for a nice one. The 13 round mag is the normal mag. The 10 rounders you may come across are only as a result of anti-gun legislation that has been overturned.

I also have a 84f which is almost the same as the current model 84fs. The difference is a modification in the safety.

These guns are very reliable and accurate. I'd advise you keep the alloy frame well lubed.

Here's my 84f
Beretta84.jpg

carguychris

The name "Cheetah" refers to an entire family of Beretta DA/SA pistols- the 81 and 82 (.32ACP), 83, 84, and 85 (.380ACP), 86 (.380ACP with tilting barrel), an 87 and 89 (.22LR).

84s were sold with 10rd mags while the 94 AWB was in force, but all will accept the standard 13rd mags. Browning BDA. 380 mags will also work.

I believe that the "P" suffix simply refers to an 84F sold with plastic instead of wood grips.

FYI the 84F was the first 84 model equipped with a decocking safety, but the mechanism was later upgraded because the 84F lever will stop in an intermediate position, fooling some shooters into thinking that the gun is on-safe in this setting; it is NOT on-safe like this. The lever must always be pushed through to the decock position to be on-safe.

aarondhgraham

Some model information,,,

I found this Wikipedia page to be very helpful,,,
Lotsa good stuff about the different models/versions of the Cheetah.

Versions

There are potentially 5 versions for models 81 through 87. The features for each version in models 81, 82, 84 and 85 are consistent between models (i.e., the 81FS, 82FS, 84FS and 85FS all have similar features). This is not the case with models 83, 86, 87 and 89, which were not made in all versions.
[edit]Base versions (no letter suffix)
Base versions of models 81 through 87 are noted for having a rounded trigger guard and generally fewer safety features than subsequent versions. Safety is ambidextrous and frame-mounted. The frame is alloy, the slide is blued steel and the standard grips are wood.
[edit]B versions
The B versions of models 81, 82, 84, and 85 introduced an automatic firing pin safety, a shorter extractor and grooved front and back straps.
[edit]BB versions
The BB versions of models 81, 82, 84 and 85 have more serrations on the slide, white dot and post sights and other subtle changes.
[edit]F versions
The F versions of models 81, 82, 84 and 85 introduced the "combat" trigger guard with a squared-off front that allows for a finger hold, plastic grips, a proprietary "Bruniton" finish, a chrome-plated barrel and chamber, and replaced the safety with a decocker, which lowers the hammer when operated. As a result, these pistols cannot be "cocked and locked".
[edit]FS versions
Current production models of .32 ACP and .380 ACP Cheetah pistols are in the FS configuration (e.g. 81FS).[3] In models 81, 82, 84 and 85 they include internal improvements over the F versions that are not visible during casual inspection.

Aarond