Triple 7 fffg and .45 Colt Ammunition

Yes, I did a literature search on-line about using Triple 7 in a .45 Colt cartridge. And, although there is some information out there, none of it seems conclusive.

So, I want to present the question straight forward. Please, limit comments to the specific concern presented.

**Can Triple 7 fffg be SAFELY used with the Lee 452-255-RF in .45 Colt ammunition?
**If so, what are some recipes for this combination?

Thanks

Kilibreaux

ABSOLUTELY!
Triple 7 can be loaded JUST LIKE BLACK POWDER!

With the .45 Colt your STARTING load is a full case of powder without compressing the powder charge...around 30-32 grains depending on your equipment - with a 255 grain slug.

You CAN back off slightly to 25 grains with a 230 grain slug with no issues and you will end up duplicating the old Schofield Army load. And, you CAN use Schofield cases in an 1873 as your "reduced" load.

I have managed to compress about 37 grains into a modern, "solid head" .45 Colt case....such is NOT a weak load....avg 900 fps from my 5.5" 1873 with 255 grain FP slug! Right at 460 kb-ft of kinetic energy which puts it ahead of ALL other "military" handgun cartridges in terms of power.

Be aware that even with black powder and black powder "substitute" loads it is possible to blow up a modern steel gun IF you apply enough "compression" to the load.

Back in the 19th century brass was made by extruding a cylinder then "folding" the head to form a rim much like the .22 was built. This resulted in larger capacity for the .45 Colt - hence the original loading of 40 grains of FFFg over a 255 grain slug...a VERY potent load! Modern "solid head" brass simply cannot hold 40 full grains without compression.

Black powder and black powder "substitute" pressures increase rapidly as the charge is compressed so proceed with caution if you choose to go beyond a "full case uncompressed" loading using Triple 7