Trijicon nights sight general questions

Jack Straw

My paw-in-law just stopped by to show me his new toy: a Glock 23 with Trijicon 3-dot sights. I've never really learned about night sights so I was wondering -- how do they work (are they radioactive or what?)? Is there a life span to the glowing element and if so, how long do they last? What do you think of night sights? Are they worth buying, do they improve low light shooting, do you prefer to have them on a defensive gun, etc...?

Thanks for the opinions.

Jack

Guncrazy

Nuclear Night Sights

Jack-

Tritium night sights are self-luminous because they contain a radioactive isotope of hydrogen (tritium) which, as it decays, emits particles which excite phosphors coating the glass capsule, which produces light.

In layman's terms, it's nuclear and it glows.

Nothing to worry about, though. There are different types of radiation, and the type produced by tritium is harmless. Mostly, anyways.

Because it is the breakdown of the tritium that powers the light, the sights will go dark, eventually. About 12 years after the sights were manufactured, they will be half as bright. You'll probably want to replace them at this point.

I have a set of Meprolights on my Glock 19. Personally, I love 'em. Most tritium sights come standard with a green front dot. I have chosen orange dots for my rear sight. I find that when shooting in low light, trying to line up three green dots can be difficult, because you might not be sure which dot represents the front sight. With different colored rear dots, it's a simple matter to find the green dot and put the other-colored dots on either side. Rear sights can generally be had in green (poor choice, I think, but brightest), yellow, orange (said to go dim sooner than the greens), red (thought by some to be too dim to begin with) and blue (also thought to be too dim by some).

Dot color is not the only option you get with rear sights, either. Some rear sights are available with green bars, rather than (or in addition to) dots. I've not seen this arrangement, but I soon hope to try it. I'm planning to get a set of sights for my H&K USP 45, with blue rear dots, as well as a green bar. I'll let you all know what they're like as soon as I can afford them. (They're $85.00 from PT Night Sights--I accept PayPal donations, if you'd like to help a little.)

One last bit about tritium sights--I prefer to have sights with white rings surrounding the glass capsules. It just makes it easier for me to see the sights in the daytime, or in well-lighted areas.

Hope this answers your questions.

Guncrazy

LorenzoSD

My Glock 20 has night sights before that I had never delt with themI think they are a great investment even in a deciently lit area if you have the dots shadowed with regular white do you have a harder time picking them up but the tritium is always on so you canpick out the sights easier . as a side note I purchased this gun used with the factory nightsights it was made back in 91 and the sights are still plenty bright for me

Beowulf

Most night sight manufacturers guarantee their sights from going dim for anywher from 10-15 years. With Meprolight being 12 years.

IMO - Night sights are an absolute must have accessory if they don't come standard on your pistol.

B.