Trijicon hd night sight... Losing brightness

teejhot.40cal

So I was inquiring about putting Trijicon hd night sights on my sig. The only issue is that I called a local gunshop (it was the first time dealing with them) and they said that the Trijicon hd sights are losing brightness on the account of them not being hermedically sealed. So I inquired about this and researched the Internet reviews but couldn't find anything. Has anyone heard about this or am I being fed a line of

Sharkbite

The worst place to get good gun advice is from a gunshop:confused:

Trijicon, meprolight, ect, all use vials of gas containing the same gas. If the vile wasnt sealed the gas would leak out and be gone before they left the factory.

Pick whichever you like and can find at a good price. Ive used both the above brands interchangeable throughout the years and have had equal experiences

wogpotter

Your LGS is 100% full of it.
:rolleyes:
The radioactive tritium gas is an isotope of hydrogen, a gas with molecules so small they pass through many "solid" substances. Because of these two facts the vial is federally regulated to be made of a 101% sealed special type of glass utterly fused shut.

What they're probably misunderstanding is the fact that tritium, like all radioactive substances has a 1/2 life, after which it is emitting much less Beta particles then earlier. In the case of Tritium that 1/2 life is 12~15 years, so after that time the brightness dims a lot, but then remains weakly glowing for many more years.
More info here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tritium_illumination

teejhot.40cal

I figured that the lgs was full of it. That being said I just wanted to see what others said before I shelled out the money for a unsuperior product. They are a "tactical" gunshop but I really don't think any of them know what they are talking about.

pwalston25

Stuff like this kills me! Most people working at gun shops don't know jack about anything they sell. Makes me want to open a shop so bad. I put the HD's on all my carry guns, best defense sights made IMO.

wogpotter

See if you can borrow a set or a gun fitted with them.
The problem with Betalight (tritium) is that in very dark areas where you need them most all you will see is the sights, the target won't be lit unless you se a light of some kind, which sorta reduces the point of tritium.
Also look closely before you buy. There are several "dot sizes" & man aren't really a big tritium light, just a small one in a reflector.
;)