Triggers

kraigwy

Let me start this by saying I'm not a Glock fan. I don't own one, nor do I plan on buying one.

But.

The other night at our gun club meeting, we got to talking about triggers and semi autos. So the guys dug up a bunch of different pistols which I dryfired (didn't shoot them, I just wanted to see about the triggers)

Got to admit I was impressed with the Glock trigger, (nothing like the single action triggers of my colt 1911s or 92FS but still)

Tried a M&P and thought it was worse then my Sigma. Ruger (don't remember witch one) was better then the M&P, not as heavy as my Sigma but more "scratchy", not as smooth.

My son's Sig wasn't too bad, better then the others excluding the glock.

But over all, for double action triggers on Semis I was really impressed with the Glock trigger.

Now I know this isn't a scientific test, only a simple sample. I have no dog in the fight since I'm a revolver shooter (except for my 1911s).

And I don't even like Glocks. Just my opinion.

Isk

You know, I bought a Glock because everybody told me they were reliable (which mine has been). When I bought it, which I did without ever firing one, I knew that the trigger was going to be different. I wasn't sure if I would like it...but I didn't find it hard to adjust to. I actually like the fact that you can fire it either by setting the trigger in a single action style or by a full-on "double action-ish" long pull.

drail

I like to think of a Glock trigger as feeling like a staple gun. But whatever I think I have seen people who are able to manage them and shoot very well with a Glock. I will stick to SA 1911 triggers. The only long DA trigger pull I like and can shoot is a S&W revolver. I cannot see any purpose to a semi auto with a DA trigger pull. DA/SA autos like the Beretta seem to serve no purpose that I can see.

Isk

Well, you can either place your finger on the trigger and pull steadily through the entire length of pull...or you can pull the trigger back to the point before it breaks, take aim, and then fire in what amounts to more of a single action type shot.

g.willikers

Glocks, like many other pistols, have a two stage style trigger mechanism.
The first part of the trigger travel just takes up the slack, and gives plenty of time to not shoot.
The last part of the trigger travel releases the striker to fire the gun.
And there is a distinct feel between the two stages.
As the trigger is released for the next shot, it can either be released all the way and repeat the above or,
Released just to the point between the two stages, called the reset, which is a much shorter and precise travel to activate the striker again.
Hope this explains it ok.

divil

I have to agree about the Glock trigger. For a gun in that price range it's probably the best I've seen out of the box. I shoot a 1911 and like the OP I am not really a fan of Glocks. But the first, and only, time I fired one, my shooting was a good 30% more accurate than with my 1911, which is due in part to the quality of the trigger. It felt strange, with the first stage being a little squishy, like a toy gun, but it broke very cleanly.

BigJimP

I'm no Glock fan either...and won't ever buy one ...but ...

but the exercise you went thru is valuable because I don't think people realize how different a variety of guns feel in terms of how the triggers break and how they reset...and dry firing a bunch of different guns, without the recoil, will tell you a lot.

There is even a big difference between the various glock models...17's, 19's, 34's ,etc ...and some are not bad / and I think some are really bad...but lining up a bunch of Sigs, Berettas, Glocks, XD's, etc will tell you a lot by dry firing them a little bit ...

k4swb

One really nice thing about Glocks, Even an old, shaky guy that can't see as well as he used to can take the darned things apart and I mean all the way apart to work on the triggers and anything else he wants to and get it back together with no trouble.

First time I did this I was amazed at how few parts there actually are in a Glock.