Trigger squeeze vs jerk

Bob Thompson

As with most of you I learned from my father and again in military service to always keep a steady sight picture and squeeeeze off a round for the most accurate shooting. But I have changed within certain allowances. A while back I acquired a single shot bolt action Savage varmint rifle in 220 Swift. It has about a 4 oz. trigger pull. That brings me to my latest found shooting skill which I think is used by at least some target and silloutte shooters and really works for me. It is a method by where you have as steady a sight picture as you can hold and when your mind sees a PERFECT picture you use a conditioned "jerk" on the trigger. This jerk is so small because of the 4 oz. pull pressure that there is no movement of gun or sight picture. This is even better with a large power scopes because of the amplified movement of sight picture. This really works for me and I have shot cloverleaf groups at 100 yds. using this system and tuned loads. Needless to say the old tried and true system is a must for all but a few factory triggers. It is somewhat good with my SIG Trailside after lightening the pull which is factory adjustable and works pretty good with my Sharps with set triggers. Also it would probably work with Remington's electronic trigger. Has anybody else tried this with success like mine? Thanks much, Bob

UltimaThule

If you shoot well, I don't think you're jerking the trigger. I think you are squeezing, but that you are taking less time executing the squeeze than you have done in the past. I just don't think it's possible to shoot a cloverleaf if you jerk the trigger. Maybe it's just the difference between a good trigger and a not so good one?

To answer your question, yes, maybe. If my theory above is correct, I may do something similar: Take up the slack in the trigger (if there is slack), align the sights with the target, start trigger squeeze, establish proper sight picture, increase trigger squeeze, perfect sight picture, complete trigger squeeze (this is what I think you call "conditioned jerk"). With a four ounce trigger, skip the gradual increase in trigger squeeze before the sight picture is very, very near perfect. :)

beenthere

I too always ascribed to the squeeze - don't jerk method. I think that's the only way to shoot when you are talking about trigger pulls in the range we've all been accustomed to in the past. With new factory light pulls available or on custom guns I don't think squeeze necesarrily applies unless you really jerk hard enough to pull the gun out of line. With a trigger pull measured in ounces the bullet is probably gone long before you get the gun out of alignment. IMHO

trapshooter

JMO, 'squeezing' is a single action technique. Trigger 'Pull' is for double action. 'Trigger cocking' is a combination of pull, then squeeze. YMMV.

'Jerking' is just a miss (take).

Lavan

I gotta agree with those who just think you are perfecting your "squeeze."

With time, you simply do more things well but faster.

Well.....LOTSA...things, anyway. ;)