Trigger Pull

Bucksnort1

Yesterday, while shooting at a popular area near Denver, I spoke to two men about trigger pull. One man, who was zeroing his rifle for his first elk hunt, thought the pull, on what seemed to be a fairly new Remington bolt action 30-06, is too hard. The shooter admits he is not savvy about rifles. I did not look at the model. I asked if I could feel the pull. After pulling the trigger, I told the hunter he has a sweet trigger pull. It has no free travel, or what ever the term in for that. The other hunter said he thinks the trigger pulls harder with a round in the chamber so I asked if I could insert a spent round then pull the trigger. I did not feel any difference. I told them there should be no difference with a round in the chamber.

My question is. Should there be a difference in pull with a case in the chamber?

mete

Case in chamber should have nothing to do with it !
I assume these two shooters had little experience . Typical trigger pull for hunting should be 2 to 6 lbs .Smooth is more important than weight .Serious working on triggers is not a job for amateurs .Find a good gunsmith.

Nathan

Most people don't get pulling triggers.

A well trained new shooter gets in position, settles breathing/heart rate down with 3 deep breaths , pauses and then slowly squeezes the trigger. After the first round, they often spend the squeeze time thinking about the pull and the recoil coming.

An advanced shooter, trains the pull by dry firing until they subconsciously know when it will break. Then they get in position, breath to a natural pause, aim while squeezing....subconsciously they are squeezing to break the trigger exactly when their aim is dead on, so they are varying the pressure on the trigger by how their sights are settling on the aim point.

Trigger quality matters much less to the advanced shooter. Trigger quality seems like everything to an amateur. ....cause they try to feel it all when they should be focused on breaking the trigger when aimed at the spot.

This trigger focus combined with recoil sensation can really play havoc on your psyche.

The keys are learn the trigger dry firing at medium speed of pull. Then get in position, forget about recoil and break the trigger while you are focused on your aim point!