Trigger Pull

Some years ago a buddy was showing off his new Ruger 10-22 at a local rifle match but he complained about the trigger. He told me to try it and I told him I didn't see what his gripe was. He told me the factory trigger was horrible. I told him I didn't have the experience to see that and it felt normal to me. Since that time things changed. I bought a Ruger 10-22, and I could see by the time the gun fired, I was off target a bit as I squeezed off a round. I bought the Timney replacement and installed it. The results were just fine and my group size was tight and spot on. Funny how in some cases you buy a rifle at one cost, then you pay the same cost again to make it shoot right. But it boils down to this: I'm well pleased in my case with the trigger replacement and my Ruger 10-22 hammers those little steel chickens instead of missing them.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Welcome to the real world. Gun makers for the mass market are scared spitless of tort liability lawsuits. Just guessing, but they must figure that the less expensive guns will be bought by folks who wouldn't be truly safe with really-good triggers. Less of a problem for the higher-cost guns which are more likely to be bought by experienced shooters. Regardless of the "why", it's not just the 10/22 that's a problem. I've spent a fair amount of time in careful stoning of sears on low-end rifles.

tobnpr

Shooters that are new to the sport don't realize how big a difference a quality trigger can make in terms of shooter accuracy.
Funny thing about it is, it doesn't make the rifle any more accurate- but does make the shooter more accurate...

The only "stock" trigger we have on our rifles is a Savage AccuTrigger, and I definitely put it a notch above other factory triggers I've used.

Stones

I'm no gunsmith but I did appreciate the comment Art made about stones. I have a good variety of stones used for assorted purposes. In the case of my Charles Daly Zastava 22LR, I did take a stone to that come to think about it. The Ruger was different. There must be a hundred million this, that, and other things for Ruger 10-22's. Once I learned to detect a good trigger pull, and having a desire to improve, the stone work on the Zastava resulted in a modest gain. For the first time, I was "in the money" as far as payout at the local matches. I went from the "teens" in scoring into the "twenties". Some time spent in the shop at night, a rifle stripped down on the bench, some oil and stones working, Cocker Spaniel snoozing at my feet, better shooting scores as a result. Not too bad at all.

Dusty Rivers

Timney trigger for Vanguard

I bought a used Weatherby Vanguard in 22-250. It appeared very new. No handling or use marks. The trigger pull on it was so bad I considered it unsafe. I don't know if someone had messed with the seer adjustment or not. When you squeezed the trigger it would creep about 1/4 inch. Then if you let off, sometimes it would just hang there and sometimes it would spring back. If you removed the bolt and pulled the trigger it was nice and loose with no binding. I oiled the crap out of the trigger and the bolt with no improvement. Then I stumbled onto a post that said you could buy a drop in trigger for the Vanguard/Howa/S&W from Timney. I bought one, dropped in and WOW it is awesome. I thought about selling the rifle when I got it, but everyone praises the accuracy / price point of the Vanguard. With this new trigger I think you would be hard pressed to find a better shooter for 3 times the cost of the Vanguard and the Timney Trigger. The Timney also is a 3 position safety where the original was a two position. That is an upgrade in my mind. The Timney trigger is not grooved, but I don't really see that as much of an issue at all. I sure am glad i stumbled onto that post on the Firing line. I have Sakos and the Vanguard now has a trigger as fine as them. :)