• Taurus

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • Ruger

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Colt

Votes: 12 15.8%

• Total voters

Duxman

Very new to the revolver side so I am wondering which of these have the better trigger pull both in DA and SA?

Dan Wesson
S&W
Taurus
Ruger

I am used to both the DA/SA of the automatics - Beretta 92, S&W 4013, Glock, Walther etc.

Let me know your observations and the kind of trigger each platform gives.

Thanks.:)

SnWnMe

SA is a wash. All those big players have immobile, creep free triggers until the hammer drops.

DA... hmm... Colts reset too slow, Rugers are okay, Smiths are okay but are known to get better with hard use and everybody knows how to work on them, and Taurus... well, Taurus are great bargains.

2ndamd

ya left out colt... the hands down winner.

+1

Diamondbacks, Pythons, or DSII's; Colt owns the best trigger pull in each category or frame size. I have found Colt to have the best trigger pulls on revolvers.

This is coming from a guy who only owns Ruger DA revos. My dad bought all my Colts.....he even bought a Colt jacket I had :)

joshua

If there is a better DA pull than a S&W I'd like to shoot it. I've tried Pythons before, but it is not better than the smooth ballbearing on flat glass like trigger of my S&W 66. josh

TampaJim

Colt

My Python beats my 686 any day.....not that the 686 is bad! It's really quite nice.

I have also fired some new L and N-frame S&W's, and they were not as nice as my 686 was when it was new.

Jim

Golddog

I've shot 'em all. SA pulls are pretty close, but the Smith DA is clearly better than the others. I've never handled a Python that came close to a K, L, or N Smith DA.

Tom2

I don't think enough people have tried a good DW revolver to know. They are pretty nice as I recall. Course now I have all Smiths so I guess I will settle for that after I have worked them over.

BFBoy

No doubt, my model 18 and 19 had an excellent DA and SA trigger. My model 60, however, was not stellar. Model 27, and 28, and 17 were great. All had the wide trigger.
All the Colts I've owned and shot were fantastic DA/SA triggers. Even, (as a matter of fact, especially), the Colt snubs were beautiful. My Cobra and Detective Special were very controllable due to the DA pull.
I have to say Colt.

clayking

Of the ones I've owned, Colt, S&W, and Taurus, I have to say Colt first, then S&W........maybe Ruger (only fired 'em SA) or Dan Wesson (never shot one) third and fourth.......................ck

Peter M. Eick

I did not vote because the parameters seem off.

If I were to compare a pre-war Colt to a modern S&W, the Colt wins. If I compare a modern Colt to a pre-war S&W, the S&W wins. If I compare a modern S&W to an older DW the DW wins. And so it goes. I suggest you refine your poll to a particular time frame and then add an "in general" because come specimen's are good and others are not.

Ozzieman

Python is number 1

In double action I can hold it about half way through the trigger pull and at that point the weight falls off on the pull and I can hold the gun and steady the sights and then the remainder of the pull is much more like a single action in weight. The Python is the only wheel gun that has this kind of trigger and most are perfect out of the box.
But with that said, a good N frame with a wide trigger is still my over all favorite, and if you can find a good gun smith you can make one break like glass.
I like Ruger's but they are the worst of the 3. I don’t like the way the trigger feels like a cam action, the weight changes unevenly across the entire swing of the double action and the single action is too sloppy when it lets off. To find a Ruger that the single action breaks like glass is impossible. I just wish Ruger would put as much thought into improving there triggers as they have in there strength.
Taurus makes good guns but I have never seen one out of the box that didn’t seem to feel like it was full of sand. (And I have seen and shot a lot of them)
I have a 445 (snub nose 44 sp) that I picked up because I buy every thing I see that shoots 44 sp and the gun is very well made and shoots well but I had to have a gun smith work on the trigger. It was simply a piece of excrement.
Dan Wesson I will make no comment, I had a very bad experience with one and for that reason I will not own, shoot or comment.

T. O'Heir

Except for the Colt Python, all revolvers require a trigger job, right out of the box, due to frivolous law suits. If you're looking into a revolver, buy the one that fits your hand. Same as you would for a semi.
The Python costs what it does/did because of the hand work on the trigger. I still wouldn't pay a grand for a .357 though.
"...he even bought a Colt jacket I had..." You made your da pay for a jacket? Still in the will, are you? snicker.

skeeter1

S&w

My dad had a S&W K-22 Masterpiece (ca. 1950) that was sharp as breaking a glass rod with about a 1# pull (single action). My S&W M35 (ca. 1972) isn't quite as good, but still around 3#. The M60 probably goes around 4#. In all of them, no creak, no raspinest, just squeeze the trigger until it goes "boom."

Kreyzhorse

I've got to go Smith but I have never pulled the trigger on a Colt or Dan Wesson so out of the three remaining, Smith gets the nod.

1. Smith - Own several. Trigger pull is smooooooooottttthhhhhh.
2. Ruger - The pull on a GP100 is nice. My SP101 needs a little work though.
3. Taurus - I owned a Model 85 that had a nice trigger pull, which, sadly was the only thing good about the gun.