trigger problem?

evilleprichaun

so my problem is that sometimes the bolt on my rpk isnt catching the next round when it pushes forward. it doesnt happen everytime but its happening often enough to get kind of annoying, when i pull the bolt back it rubs against the hammer alot, so is it possible the trigger is holding the hammer to high and when it rubs it slows it down enough to not be able to catch? or could it be the recoil spring? or something else im missing here

Erno86

It could be your magazine spring, that has a bad angle connection to the follower. Load the magazine....and if the round is slightly pointed down on the bullet side, on top of the follower --- that could be your problem. Take out the spring and follower, tweak or bend the spring --- near the top loop point --- just underneath the follower; so the follower is slightly pointing up at the bullet end.
Check out: Shooting Illustrated...on the Internet. I have the proper how-to magazine {SI} at home --- but at this time --- I'm stuck out on a parking lot, that has free Wi-Fi. Might have to verify the proper technique tomorrow.
Have you tried other magazines?

Last edited:

Erno86

The magazine article is in Guns magazine, January 2012, page 26, title: Magazines, by Glen Zediker.

"Sometimes the follower sticks so the case-head-side is down and the bolt rides right over the waiting round. If you take a finger or the erasier-end of a pencil and push indiscriminately down and around on a follower, you can sometimes can make it stick either end down. When you can't make a follower stick from pushing on the front or rear of it, that magazine should function. The newer AR follower designs, when they are correctly oriented atop the spring, lick that problem.

Last edited:

Erno86

"The correct orientation for the follower sitting atop the spring {before either is installed into the box} is either dead level or with the bullet end sitting a little higher than the primer end. Dead level is OK. Pliers are the tool, and the idea --- again --- is to get the follower sitting flat or a little nose-up. Thats done by tweaking the top spring coil. Its really just a matter of gently bending on the top coil until the follower is sitting correctly atop it."
You just might have a dirty magazine.

QUOTES from the book: The Competitive AR15: Builders Guide, by Glen Zediker Publishing {662} 473-6107

www.gunsmagazine.com/brownells

www.gunsmagazine.com/superior-shooting-systems-inc

Last edited:

evilleprichaun

thanks for the tip ile try to get around to it tonight, ive been really busy lately . also i first used a metal surplus 45 rd mag and i couldnt get through more than 2 shots without a some sort of malfunction . then i switched to only using a newer polymer 45 rd mag and it didnt happen near as much, i guess next time i go shoot i can use my 30 rd ak mags and see if they work in it.

Erno86

[/QUOTE]"Bending the wire to support the follower at its nose just about prevents it from tipping in the nose down direction. Its common in many mags I've disassembled to see the follower nose when it's installed onto the spring. When it gets back into the box and buttoned up, that orientation can return. Even if it seems there's plenty of coil pressure against the follower to keep it up and sitting level against its stops, when the rounds are dealt in and the follower goes down,the shift or tilt happens. The design of the top coil on the spring itself, the attachment point for the spring onto the follower, as well as the installation orientation itself all factor greatly in attaining a proper follower attitude."
QUOTE: Same previous source