trigger lock question

kidcoltoutlaw

i have many but only two that are alike. that is the same make and one key fits them both.if you buy fifty trigger locks of the same kind will the same key fit them all.in the case of the the one that is built in the the gun is it one key fits all.if thats the case its not to hard for a kid or a criminal to fig it out.

------------------

Fred J. Drumheller

Retired Screen Name
In general, all of the same brand may be ordered keyed alike (for less money), or they may be ordered keyed differently (more expensive). Cheap locks can be opened with a paper clip. A Manditory Trigger Lock Law is a BURGLER PROTECTION LAW!

Yr. Obt. Svnt.

------------------
Fred J. Drumheller
NRA Life
NRA Golden Eagle

mept

Would it be a bad thing to have the media present taping some teens picking these cheap locks which are occasionally given out for free. Why can't they give out free safes, maybe a real nice one too thats fire proof, bullet proof, thief proof and really heavy.

hube1236

It may or not be a bad thing. This trigger lock drive is to appease all of the ex-hippie-turned yuppie people not wanting to admit raising kids without rules is bad. Off the soap box now. Let's assume that there will be a gun lock law passed- unless something big changes, it will happen. If they see their "cure all" for the prevention joke it really is, the next STRONG drive may be for off residence storage, safes, blah blah

Mal H

Staff
I almost moved this to Gear and Accessories. But it is more of a general discussion on trigger locks. Look for it in the General Discussion forum...

bamf

Well trigger locks are useful in one aspect and that's an added barrier against kids (your own or their snoopy friends)from getting them and I hope we can agree that is a good thing.

For loaded personal defense weapons, very bad idea.

Now these "manditory locks" doesn't that mean it's sold with the gun and it's your perogative to use it or not.

~bamf

Battler

It's just an exercise in power, if they can make a gun cost $10 more, and force one more regulation onto how it's made or sold, it creates good precedent for more.

Don't worry, they'll force you to store unloaded away from ammo before you get to off-site.

Battler.

Mikey

First, NEVER put a trigger lock on a loaded firearm. To do so may actually CAUSE the gun to fire!

Second, as long as we fight this measure it forces the anti's to concentrate on it and leave other stuff alone.

Third, the reason for opposing the "mandatory" provision is the legal precedent. If they are mandatory, you wouldn't be able to legally (and safely) keep a loaded firearm for protection, even if you had no children. And even though house to house inspections would be unlikely, they would have a reason to prosecute you if some disadvantaged youth, who was mistreated and poor and not responsible for being the theiving, lying scum he had become, stole your unlocked gun and accidently murdered somebody during an armed robery - for which he would get 2 to 7 and you would get the chair!

It all sounds so "reasonable" and makes such "common sense" - it's death by a thousand cuts, none of which are lethal by themselves but collectively kill you.

Mikey

bamf

Mikey,

i agree with you, the precedent is not a good one. But I'd hope people with kids use them anyways and not have to be told to, at least the ones not on their body. Most people I know with kids have their guns with trigger locks and locked in a gun safe and their ammo in a seperate safe. Plus they teach their kids about gun safety...its the only responsible thing to do.

No kids, do what you want, just be safe.

~bamf

Dennis

Staff Emeritus
Trigger locks, all too often (No, NOT "always"), are ineffective, inefficient, and dangerous.

Trigger locks fit few guns properly.
Trigger locks are easily installed incorrectly - even on guns the locks fit.
Trigger locks give a false sense of security.

Use cable locks (or something else that works).

Oatka

Mandating all new guns come equipped with trigger locks sounds innocuous enough, until . . . the next accident with a non-trigger-locked gun. Then the "loophole" will be closed by mandating ALL guns be trigger-locked. Then they will push for random inspections of your house to insure compliance.

They're doing this now in the UK and Australia, inspecting mandated safes.

One bill in the hopper gives the government the right to set trigger lock standards, inspect any building used for their manufacture or storage, and inspect any vehicle used for the transportation of said locks. Right now the last two are modified by the words "for commercial purposes", but all you have to delete them and they will have Carte Blanche to
inspect your home or car. And, "Oh, by the way, since we are here, do you mind if we search for drugs? You have nothing to hide, do you?"

Check out HR1512: http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c106:1:./temp/~c106OKM0pj::

Note that they also mandate a warning about further safety being needed -- here comes the mandated safe law.

The next time some fence-sitter asks "How can you be against trigger locks?", ask him if he knows about the rest of the law. When he says, "Huh?", fill him in as per above and say that's why. Also ask him why would the antis keep that part of the law quiet, unless it was to fool the people into backing it.
Ask him if he feels "had".

------------------
The New World Order has a Third Reich odor.

[This message has been edited by Oatka (edited May 26, 2000).]

ChrisMkIV

I put a post on the TFL legal&politcal side about a trigger lock company that claims they are pro-gun and a menber of the NRA, something does not jive right with that to me.

------------------
"The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword, becuse the whole body of the people are armed"
Noah Webster

Second Amendment lover? www.2ndamdlvr.homestead.com/home.html