Trigger Happy Mom..??

MLeake

It would appear MSN editors have changed the title - even their readership called them out on it.

jimbob86

The woman fired six shots, five of which hit Slater in the face and neck, but he managed to flee after the family ran to a neighbor’s house. Slater is expected to survive.

1. Nice shooting, Mom! That's better hit % than the NYPD!

2. Mr. Slater should buy a lottery ticket.

3. Trigger happy? My gun holds more, so I probably would have shot more.

thallub

Good shooting on the part of the lady. The perp may re-think home invasion as an occupation.

Some anti-gun anti-self defense media blissninnie at MSN got hold of the source piece and jazzed it up to suit his/her fancy.

This is the source of the story:

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/mother-of-two-surprises-burglar-with-five-gunshots/nTnGR/

Looks like Slater, a former Long Island, NY resident has been a one person crime wave since moving to GA.

The Long Island native, who now lives in Gwinnett County, was released from the Gwinnett jail in late August after serving six months for simple battery and three counts of probation violation. Slater has six other arrests in Gwinnett dating back to 2008, according to jail records.

There are some good lessons here.

Are five shots enough? Yes, unless they aren't, as in this case.

Do head shots always produce incapacitation or death? Definitely not. Most of the head isn't CNS and the face is part of the head.

Neck shots are often as good as head shots, meaning they don't always result in incapacitation either.

Even when that many shots hit that region, if they don't hit vital cardio or CNS structures, the bad guy can sometimes still function.

Slater is expected to live. Heck, he was in good enough shape to cry and plead for his life and then get up and go drive away. Granted, he eventually crashed...
http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/mother-of-two-surprises-burglar-with-five-gunshots/nTnGR/

She did well, but I am still puzzled as to how she missed vital CNS structures that many times while hitting the general area.

MLeake

I am baffled as to why the AJC took pains not to identify the mother or kids, but then quoted and named her husband...

SPEMack618

I'm willing to bet that the Mom was shooting either 158 grn LRN or 130 grn FMJ out of her .38, which is usually cheap and plentiful at the local gun shop or big box store but isn't the most potent self defense loading out there.

I've called the AJC many things, but never once have I called them intelligent.

CS86

I'm shocked it didn't kill him. Also shocked that 5 hits to the head region didn't jar his head enough to make him disfunctional.

My guess would be she did not focus on the front sight, but point fired at very close range.

Oh, no doubt, that and she probably hasn't been to Thunder Ranch too many times, likely doesn't go to the range weekly, and likely has a pretty good trigger jerk even outside of the adrenaline and excitment of the moment such that had the guy been much further away, she might have missed with a lot more of her shots.

Proximity negates skills and she got the job done.

MLeake

She did, but it also proves what many have claimed: the skull is hard, it has curves and angles that make it tougher to penetrate, so head shots still require some degree of placement in order to incapacitate - assuming one has a mentally tough adversary who does not just roll over.

ShootingNut

Just to bad it wasn't a .357 Magnum, he would have needed more than
new teeth and a plastic surgeon.
Watch, the liberal media won't even want this self defense case talked
about, while the anti gun crowd is sharpening their swords.

PawPaw

CS86 said:
Also shocked that 5 hits to the head region didn't jar his head enough to make him disfunctional.

And how would you know? It looks to me like this goblin started out dysfunctional.