Trigger group for M-1 Garand

condor bravo

Looking for an armory or other source for a complete trigger group for the M-1 Garand. Tried Fulton Armory but could not find any listed on their parts list. Any recommendations for finding one?

RickB

I searched "garand trigger" on ebay, and four or five complete units were on the first page of results, mostly priced in the $50-$100 range.

T. O'Heir

I suspect it's the "complete" part that's causing the grief. Trigger groups are usually sold by the individual part. Pricey way to do it too. Especially as everybody seems to think it should match the manufacturer of the receiver.

condor bravo

Right on. My gunsmith is evaluating an unusual problem and recommends a replacement trigger group. Outpost armory has them listed around $200 and Fulton armory, as would be expected, has the complete groups. Trigger groups for AK and AR types run twice as much.

HiBC

You might try CMP,if you are set up to buy from them.
I'm pretty sure there are some trigger groups on e-bay

tangolima

There are indeed complete trigger groups on eBay. They are also available from numrich.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Nodak1858

What is the problem you are having? Instead of replacing the entire trigger group maybe you can swap out a piece or two.

dahermit

What is the problem you are having? Instead of replacing the entire trigger group maybe you can swap out a piece or two.
Exactly! Just because your gunsmith cannot figure it out, he wants to just swap-out the trigger group. FYI, years ago my Garand began to double when I was shooting it in meets. Having a machining background and a compulsive "fixer", I determined that the likely cause was the "hooks" on the hammer had become worn. Bought a new hammer, installed it...problem fixed, did not need an entire new trigger group.

tangolima

Most M1 problems are not very difficult to fix, and seldom require replacing more than a few parts. However, buying parts individually are rather expensive. You could get better value to buy the whole assembly, if say you will need 3 parts out of that.

-TL

condor bravo

The problem is this. Pressing the trigger does not fire the rifle, no trigger movement whatsoever. Then release trigger pressure and the round fires. Possibly trigger sear problem but not sure. Accordingly, replacing the trigger group might be preferable. Was happening about 20% of the time making it harder to diagnose.

tangolima

Wait. Let's start from the beginning.

Rifle empty. Pull back op handle. Bolt locks back.

Load the clip. Bolt forward.

Pull trigger. No trigger movement. Rifle doesn't fire. Release trigger pressure. Rifle fires.

The last step makes no sense at all. Do I understand it correctly?

-TL

condor bravo

Yes you understand it correctly. Doesn't make much sense at all. Sort of like a release trigger on a shotgun. No objection to paying for a complete trigger group if that will cure the situation.

I only fired two clips when it was doing that but not on every shot, some 6 or 7 times out of the 16.

Last edited:

tangolima

Yes you understand it correctly. Doesn't make much sense at all. Sort of like a release trigger on a shotgun. No objection to paying for a complete trigger group if that will cure the situation.

I only fired two clips when it was doing that but not on every shot, some 6 or 7 times out of the 16.
So absolutely no trigger movement when it is pulled. Not even trigger take-up? If so quite likely someone has monkeyed with the trigger, possibly trying to make a single-stage trigger out of it. But I still can imagine how it is possible.

Perhaps the hammer and the trigger will need to be replaced. But since the smith has no clue, replacing the whole assembly may be the way.

-TL

condor bravo

No a trigger job had not been done on it. I have three M-1s and this one had been sitting around for a couple months waiting for its turn to be used. Then the next time out the malfunction started on the first shot. The Smith does gun work for the P.D. which takes priority and also manufacturers guns for various departments so I haven't been pressing him much on this. He apparently was having some difficulty finding a proper trigger group so I reminded him we had previously used Fulton Armory on another M-1 with good results, and at the same time time asked around for possible other sources (see above posts).

No take up on the trigger whatsoever when it would go into the trigger release mode. I'm all for replacing the entire trigger group.

Last edited:

sprouticus

It defiantly sounds like a serious issue.
I would guess it's most likely a combination of worn hammer & trigger hooks plus maybe a bent trigger pin.

A book I highly recommend for all Garand owners is Walt Kuleck's M1 Garand complete assembly guide.

He gives very detailed instructions on a complete disassembly & reassembly.
But best of all he shows how to inspect for worn out parts (with lots of pics).

https://www.amazon.com/M1-Garand-Complete-Assembly-Guide/dp/1888722134/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1518761854&sr=8-1&keywords=m1+garand+complete+assembly+guide