Trigger getting better with use?

AUG

I seen several posters claim that triggers will get better with use or "break in".

I have heard this off and on for years and have never found it to be true.

Is it possible that after several thousand rounds a weaker spring may give the illusion that the trigger is getting better?

I just have to ask because I have put several thousands of rounds through many different guns and I have never had a trigger "improve".

What do you guys think?

If this is the case why do some really old shot to death guns have such poor triggers?

Is trigger "break in" just made up to convince the owner to not spend more money on a trigger job?

Could it be that the trigger parts were so rough to start with that after a burr was worn down the stock trigger "feels" way better than before?

Alaskanmonte

I think that triggers might get a LITTLE better, but not to the extent that some people make it out to be. I think that over time, shooting a gun you tend to get used to the guns trigger pull. So is it really that much better ? No, its just you've just had more practice with the gun. Just my $0.02 take it or leave it.

Archie

Two factors apply:

One is, as you think, the burrs and stuff wear away and the mating surfaces polish against one another. In some regards, this is what a trigger job does.

The other factor is you get better with the gun and trigger as is. Just like getting to Carnagie Hall: practice, baby, practice.

AUG

I just want to clarify that I don't think that shooting a lot of rounds polishes the mating surfaces enough to be noticed.

Desertscout1

Most triggers do get a LITTLE better with thousands of rounds. Some more than others. You won't improve it any with a good, long weekend of shooting. A noticeable exception is the Glock they do improve considerably with just a couple thousand rounds. It doesn't get any lighter but it will get some smoother.

SnWnMe

Smith and Wesson actions get noticeably better with use. I've two vintage Smiths that came with heavy triggers (because the previous owners were lookers instead of doers). I gave them a week long dry firing therapy. Just snapping away every chance I get. Nice and smooth now.

Jerry Miculek shows in one of his videos how to give a Smith an action job. All he does is polish all the mating/rubbing surfaces. Nothing is cut at all.

JohnKSa

Administrator
They get better.

My Ruger P89DC used to have the worst trigger in my gunsafe. As a result I used it for dryfire practice since I figured if I could get used to it, the others would be a breeze.

I've been doing that for years. So, besides shooting it a bit, I dryfire it a LOT.

Awhile back I dryfired it and then one of my other guns immediately after. The P89 trigger was now BETTER than the other trigger. Hadn't done anything but shoot/dryfire it a lot. Hadn't done anything to the other trigger. Finger getting stronger wouldn't make the other trigger worse. It had to be that the dryfiring/shooting improved the P89 trigger.

A lot of it has to do with how rough the surfaces are to begin with. The most improvement in a pistol from use/dryfire I've ever seen was from a Bulgarian Mak.