Trigger finger use poll

How do you pull a trigger?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JimL

Some instructors say the best way to pull a trigger is with the pad on the end of your trigger finger.

Some instructors say the best way to pull a trigger is with the first joint of your trigger finger.

Assuming you are _ABLE_ to reach the trigger with your joint, what do you use, pad or joint?

If you can't even reach the trigger with your joint please don't respond. This is about a choice between the two.

pythagorean

I voted "pad" because if the gun I am using has a nice trigger and the right distance away from my grip I can do this with better accuracy, say, on my Model 41 SW .22 Match pistol.
However, if the grip is closer to the trigger I DO use the first finger joint.
Interesting post--but I switch the style according to the gun!

JohnKSa

Administrator
If you can manage it without strain then using the pad is always better. If you don't have the finger strength to pull a long DA trigger with the pad of the finger then using the finger joint gives you better leverage.

I've been spending a lot of time dryfiring with a gun that has a long stiff DA pull and can now manage it with the pad of my finger. Not only does that benefit my SA trigger pull by making it seem easier, now I can pull the DA trigger while holding the gun steadier. It's still easier to pull a long DA trigger with my finger joint, but I have a much more difficult time keeping the gun steady using that method as opposed to using the finger pad.

Dwight55

When I used to shoot bullseye, . . . pad of the finger only, . . . never any other way.

I have "retired" from bullseye shooting, . . . I mess around with a little IDPA stuff and my own training regimen, . . . it is all geared for SD / HD, . . . and I use that first joint.

It works so much better for me that way. YMMV

May God bless,
Dwight

10-96

Both.
For bullseye- I use the joint. For other semi-autos and duty weapon- the pad. For K and N frames- the pad. For J frames- the joint.

kraigwy

Trigger placement is adjustable, and varies by shooter. Correct trigger placement is placing the finger on the trigger, that allows for a proper grip (which varies according to the shooter), allows for a SMOOTH "straight back pull on the trigger, without disturbing sight alignment. Be it the tip of the finger (not a good ideal for most), pad of finger or joint. It must not disturb sight alignment.

Shot groups can be adjusted by adjusting the trigger finger. Push or pull your finger in or out of the trigger guard, moving the finger in the direction you want to move the impact. If you are shooting left and want to move right, pull the finger out of the trigger guard a bit and visa versa, (for right hand shooters). This doesn't really move the impact, but it allows the trigger to be pulled so it wont disturb the sight alignment.

Dry firing with a laser sight will tell you if you have proper trigger control (placement) and allow you to change if necessary.

stevieboy

I get exactly where Tamara's coming from. For single action shooting, the pad of the finger works very well. For double action, one needs to place one's finger deeper on the trigger in order to get enough leverage to pull the trigger without torquing the gun.

95% of my shooting is with double action revolvers, shooting double action. When I shoot that way I center the crease of my first joint on my trigger finger on the gun's trigger. That gives me just the right amount of leverage. Shallower, and I tend to pull the gun to the right when I shoot. Much deeper, and I push the gun to the left.

I have a tendency to leave my trigger finger in the same position when I shoot semi autos in single action, as with my 1911 or my CZ 75B SA. It's not necessarily the preferred way to do it but with so much double action shooting I'm just more comfortable that way.

My wife used to have a Smith & Wesson 41, with an ultra sensitive trigger. She could make that gun do tricks for her, shooting tiny groups at 25 yards. It was an unmitigated disaster for me. After many years of shooting double action revolvers I never could develop the right touch to pull that gun's ultra-sensitive trigger. I was totally uncomfortable resting just the pad of my trigger finger on the trigger, so I reverted to shooting it with my finger deep into the trigger, in the manner that I shoot da revolvers. That also was a disaster, with numerous premature discharges and shots all over the target.

So, I'd say that where one puts one's finger very much depends on the gun that one is shooting. The basic rule, however is: the harder the trigger pull, the more deeply you need to put your finger on the trigger in order to be able to pull straight back without torquing the gun.

MLeake

Kinda between JohnKSA and Tamara on this one...

I voted "pad," just because lately I've done more shooting with SA or DAO/Striker short trigger autos.

However, for DA with my bigger revolvers, it's joint.

FrankenMauser

My semi-autos are all DA/SA or DAO. They get a "finger joint" pull (and it's a hellacious pull on some of them.... feels like 12 miles).

Everything else gets "pad", but it's an iffy judgement on some of them. Seeing as how more than half of my collection is surplus, or something known for having horrible triggers; it's pretty close to a "finger joint" trigger pull some times.

Crankylove

I use the joint. I have always done it that way, and when I try and force myself to use just the pad.......it just feels wrong....so back to the joint I go.

My semi-autos are all DA/SA or DAO

We do need to find you a good 1911 and a Hi-Power.

Mr Lucky

Always with the pad of the index finger but just slightly (1/8'-1/4") above the crease at the end of the finger.

Deja vu

it depends on the gun. My J-frame is small so I use the crease. On my 8 shot S&W 627 I use the pad.

I voted for pad cause I prefer to shot that way even if I dont all ways shoot that way.