trigger finger reach issues

bald1

For whatever is in my genes, my dominant hand (right) trigger finger is a good 1/4" shorter than the same finger on my other hand. While my hands are wide, like my 6E feet, they have fingers that generally are shorter than most folks who stand 5' 7.5". (I'm very long waisted too taking only a 27" inseam for my pants..... yeah go figure.)

While I have used 1911 triggers as currently offered by most manufacturers, I always end up replacing them with short triggers (most often Greider Precision short-V match). This, along with general ergonomics is why I have historically favored 1911s and BHPs.

That said I would like to try out something like a Sig P220. But in this area everyone I've touched has been stock with a trigger that I can't effectively reach without wrenching the pistol into a cockeyed position in my hand, which effectively equates to the gun simply being unsuitable for my grip and finger. (This goes for every full sized Poly pistol I've picked up although that really hasn't been all that many.) No one in my neck of the woods ever has a Sig in stock equipped with a short trigger and possibly the "thin" factory grip panels.

As I'm not about to order one set up this way without knowing whether it would work for me or not, I thought I post here to see if there are others with "trigger finger reach issues." That and whether the Sig short trigger + thin panels would really give a grip and trigger reach similar to a 1911 with a short trigger. Would that combo on a P220 work for someone like me?

Anyone?

--Bob

Sixer

I would be hesitant to order a gun BEFORE you know how it's going to fit your hands.

That being said... I've got a Sig 239 that even my little sister can reach the trigger on. Not trying to be sarcastic, but she seriously has no problem getting her finger on the trigger.

I've never handled a 220 so I can't offer a good comparison, but the 239 w/ factory grips is pretty thin. I usually have to back off it a bit so I don't put too much finger on the trigger. I don't think 1/4 inch would be a problem in my case... Hope that is somewhat helpful.

bald1

Sixer,

Thanks. I looked up the dimensions for the two models on the Sig Sauer site and found:

P239
Length, overall 6.6"
Height, overall 5.1"
Width, overall 1.2"

P220
Length, overall 7.7"
Height, overall 5.5"
Width, overall 1.5"

P220 Carry
Length, overall 7.1"
Height, overall 5.5"
Width, overall 1.5"

I suspect that in addition to the 0.3" larger width of the P220, that the overall girth is substantially larger too.

While looking at measurements, I checked mine from the web of my thumb and forefinger to the tip of my forefinger (trigger finger) to be all of 4 1/4".

I wish manufacturers would publish grip girth and trigger reach specifications too but they never have and I suspect never will :(

As an aside I found this on Pistolsmith.com posted by Jim Watson on Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:12 am:

"Girth of my Gen I Glock is 5.5" around the butt only, right below the trigger guard. Around the backstrap and trigger, with slack out of the trigger, it is 6.75". A current model Glock with checkering and finger grooves will be bigger.

Corresponding dimensions on a 1911A1 are 5.125" and 6.5" which is a substantial difference..."

I can't handle full size Glocks either.

--Bob

Last edited:

Trigger Finger

I thought you were talking about me at first! :)

This problem is usually solved with proper grips and trigger. Sometimes with the placement of the pistol in the gun hand. But the above is true, you should handle the pistol before buying. Preferably shoot it first, if possible!

bald1

Trigger Finger,

LOL. I had no idea someone here had that handle! As for your put that proper grips and trigger usually can solve such issues, I have to place heavy emphasis on usually. And as everyone agrees, ordering a piece without knowing for sure if custom sizing efforts will be successful is a non-starter.

I simply hope someone else here who is "grip and forefinger length challenged" might have some experience with SIGs short trigger and/or factory thin grip panels. Or some other of the new breed of pistols in a major caliber (primarily 45ACP) that offers the smaller hand a solid proper grip.

Extrapolating my 4 1/4" web to fingertip measurement, that means (to me) that from the center of the grip backstrap to the middle of the trigger on a gun should measure around 3 7/8" for me to have a proper grip with the gun centered in the web of my hand and the pad of my trigger finger solidly placed as well.

--Bob

Last edited:

chris in va

Let's see if I can help a bit. This is taken from a 1995 Sig 220 with Hogue fingergroove grips.

LOP in SA mode, hammer back is 2 3/4", measured from grip to trigger face. DA is 3 1/8".

Circumference around the grip between the grooves is 5 7/8", measured just under the trigger guard.

In a nutshell, the 220 has a thinner grip than the 226/228/229. But I have large hands and the DA reach is just about right, wouldn't want it any further.

Yes people...it's unloaded.

Last edited:

bald1

Chris,

If I understand correctly that grip to DA trigger is a side measurement and not taken from the middle of the back of the gun around to the trigger. I'd expect I'd have to add half the thickness of the gun to your measurement to come up with that "half girth" I'm looking at. That's be your 3 1/8" + 3/4" (half of the 1.5" thickness) for 3 7/8" + another 1/4" for the trigger finger pad.... 4 1/8" overall. Mmmmm...

BTW here are my basic pieces, all JMB designs save the second pic (681-1):

JMB_handguns_sm.jpg

M681-1_a.jpg

--Bob

Sixer

Bob, Nice guns!

I just measured my finger from the web of my thumb ( there's a first time for everything :D ) and I'm dealin with a trigger finger that's about 4 3/4"... Not sure if that tells you anything, but I'm pretty sure that I could spare a 1/2" on my 239. My Glock is a different story. I can hold and shoot it comfortably, but if I had to give up 1/2" it might be difficult.

I'm just guessing... but I think a width of 1.5" (like on the 220) should be fine.

bald1

Thanks Sixer. I do my most all of my own 'smithing and all that stippling too :)

Guess I need to talk to my local gunshop folks about a short trigger, etc. equipped P220 Carry. I'm kinda hoping that with all the current demand that they'll accept the risk to keep the gun if it really doesn't fit me. We'll see.....

MBRinTN

I too have pretty large, (Wide), hands but short fingers. As odd as it may sound, one of the best-fitting handguns for me is the Glock G30sf. I agree with earlier posters, though, about not buying without at least holding it. Buying guns is like buying shoes; try them on!

bald1

Went into town and stopped at a couple of gun shops. First Stop had a combat P220 with a threaded barrel for me to grip. Bingo! It's in the ballpark and if a factory short trigger gives me another 1/8" the P220s would be doable. Other models, except the P250, were as my memory held with me unable to get a proper purchase / trigger reach.

Unfortunately no other NIB P220s were in stock as I would have liked to handle a P220 Carry. They did however have a used P245 made in Germany that I'll make the subject of another thread.

As an aside I was surprised at the feel of a Kahr PM45.. the sucker is small, light, and thin as well as feeling nice in the hand. But I'm still in a mindset where I see these as $500 guns and not $750 or more. Something to chew on obviously :)

--Bob

Creature

Sig P6 with standard trigger:
img_0013.jpg

Sig P6 with short trigger:
p6_ccw15.jpg

But why on a P6 you ask?...because, again, the difference is huge. That short trigger makes a great "fitting" pistol...perfect!

bald1

Creature,

Thanks so much for those pictures. Looking at them certainly seems to confirm at least a 1/8" improvement which I agree is "huge!"

On the semi-auto forum I've solicited input about that used P245 I've been offered....

--Bob

LaBulldog

P239 ?

Bob, ( bald1)

I'm guessing that you are interested in the P220 because of the caliber, .45 ACP. The P220 Carry has the same frame dimensions as the full size P220. The trigger reach will be the same.

The SIG P239 is great for small hands and it is available with the short trigger. However, it is not available in .45 ACP. Only 9mm, .40 S&W and .357 SIG. So, if fit is more important than caliber, consider the P239.

bald1

I have a thread in the semi-auto forum on the P245 I've been offered. I'm still trying to determine if the price is reasonable or not.

bald1

Member Colt1911Forever commented in the other thread that he likes short triggers in all but his P220 because it is his only single stack Sig and
It can effect the accuracy of your SA shots because it is too short.....

I've asked him to elaborate as the stock P245 when properly gripped only allows the very tip of my finger to cross the serrated trigger. Without that additional 1/8" a short trigger would provide, my trigger finger pad would not be properly placed adversely impacting control and engagement.

Corey Jacobs

I have the same problem. Due to a farm accident, I lost around 3/8" off my trigger finger. I cannot shoot sigs with a damn. 1911's with short triggers feel great.
I wound up getting an XDm due to the fact it has about the shortest legnth of pull on any double stack gun I held.
My wife's K9 feels great as well. It really sucks to have an issue we have, I prettymuch cannot use any DA/SA style. I have an EAA Witness Match I love, but don't grip it very well because the way I have to "modify" my grip to fire it.