Trigger finger placement

chris in va

I noticed something interesting with my single action handgun. If I place my finger just slightly to the right, my groups are a few inches left at ~20 yards. Too much to the left and it pulls it right.

Anyone else experience this?

KyJim

That's common. If the finger is on the right (right handers), then you are pushing the gun to the left when you pull. If the finger is too far to the left, then you are pulling a little to the right as you pull the trigger. The finger is "influencing" the gun. That's why finger placement and a pull straight back are important. That's more easily said than done.

g.willikers

A too tight a grip can cause another problem.
The trigger finger gets bound up and unable to pull straight back, causing the gun to veer left, for a right hander.

chris in va

Wish I could put a laser on my gun, but alas.

To refine my post, the trigger is hinged and not a straight back design.

Sharkbite

Proper trigger finger placement is just one part of good trigger control. The others follow it and are

Slack out
Surprise break (at whatever speed is needed)
Trigger reset

Its all part of the 4 step process in making the trigger work for you not against you :D

Dragline45

Good idea, forgot about those. They make them in 45acp?

The Laserlyte works in calibers from .380 to .45, pretty sure they are adjustable. It's not cheap though, but i'm sure there are less expensive options.

shortwave

The first laser tool I ever used for trigger control practice when dry firing looked like a pen light, operated off of two AAA batteries and cost about $2.00. It was taped to the bbl.

Didn't have to be pretty, didn't have to be sighted in. As I was not paying attention to aiming. Just had to be secured to the bbl tight enough to not move when trigger was pulled and the dot had to show up on a wall.