Tree 123 scale revisited

hounddawg

A couple of years back I purchased a Tree 123 scale from Amazon when I was in the market for a larger electronic. Although I had read good things about the scale on another forum I was severely disappointed in the drift of the scale. It needed constant recalibration and I could never be certain that the 40.0 grain charge I threw at 8:00 pm would weigh the same as the 40.0 charge I threw at 8:30 so I bit the bullet and ordered a A&D FX 120 to replace it. At the time I was reloading in a garage in the winter heated only by a small space heater and the temperature varied 7 - 10 degrees farenheit over a reloading session.

Things change and now I have my reloading room in a climate controlled part of the house. While unpacking from the move I put the Tree on the bench and decided to test it. Two days ago I calibrated my A&D and the Tree and used 50 gram test weight. The A&D weighed it at 49.099 grams , the Tree at 50.002. Two days later with no recalibration the A&D has it at 50.001 grams and the Tree at 50.004. In other words both had a drift of .002 grams or about a kernel of Varget. Recalibration brought both back to the original readings.

So if anyone is in the market for a mid size AC powered reloading scale at the mid $200 price point I would suggest any of the scales based on the 123 board. A&D, Tree, and L&W among others market scales based on that board for $200 - $ 400. They work fine when in a climate controlled area and drift is minimal over a long period of time while the repeatability is as good as the A&D.

Apologies to Tree:)

Last edited: