travelling cross country, any advice?

ds1973

At the end of May, I'll be fleeing the People's Republic of NYS and heading to Idaho for an exciting career in a pro-RKBA state. My wife and I are planning on driving across country in my S-10 pickup with a cap on the back. I plan on checking out the gun laws in the various states I'll be passing through before I leave. We plan on stopping in to see Mt. Rushmore and Yellowstone national park. Questions:

How should I secure my firearms? I was thinking of a steel lock box or my gun cabinet chained through the tie down loops in the back of the truck.

Also, since we're taking some time to see the sights, any suggestions on what we should stop and see while travelling from Western NY to Idaho? Nothing too out of the way (we'll be passing through PA, OH, IN, IL, IA, SD, WY and of course Idaho) and my wife doesn't want suggestions that include gun shops. :D

We're also looking for ideas on camp sites along the way.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

private_idaho

Moving to Boise myself this summer (you mentioned it was Boise to which you are headed, right?) That's the only problem with Idaho (and Montana, though not Wyoming, yet) - too many folks moving in from out of state. :) (That's actually part of the story behind my name above - a book titled "Keeping Private Idaho", an odd little novel where the protagonists harrass newcomers and fight development.)

There are many places to stop in the states you mentioned. I have spent some time in the Black Hills, and there are great camping spots there. The Badlands are also very interesting, though I would avoid Wall like the plague. Camping is also abundant in Wyoming. Considering your cargo, however, I would be hesitant to recommend stopping at any large park (such as Yellowstone) - car prowlers abound. I guess if you locked them in a box which was in turn locked to the bed you might be ok. As for laws, I assume you have checked packing.org and nra.org, both of which have a pretty good overview of gun laws by state.

Have a good trip, and don't forget to sign up with AAA before you go (I don't know how old your truck is, but they have saved my bacon more than once, including the time I got two flats 60 miles from nowhere in Montana.)

ps: One more thing - if you are travelling I90 through South Dakota, I recommend a stop at Al's Oasis in Chamberlain (just west of the river). It looks kind of touristy and hokey from the outside (well, ok, the inside too) but they have very good food at reasonable prices. I *always* stop there when I am passing through and order the hot apple pie with cinnamon ice cream - amazing stuff.

Hal

Ohio-
Locked in a storage container w/no access from the passenger compartment and the ammo seperate.<--Best bet for transport.
Long arms may be transported in a rack w/the actions clearly opened.<--Not recommended for a number of reasons. Possible theft being the highest risk.

Not much to see here except:
If you get the chance and time permits, we're a pretty friendly bunch here and would welcome an impromptu get together :) Assuming you're going to be following I-80 (Turnpike), you're going to pass right by about 8 of us fanatics. If not, safe trip to ya.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Generally: If you present the proverbial, traditional "neat and clean appearance", and obey traffic laws, nobody will ever bother you about a handgun in your console. You look like people expect you to look. You thus have an inherently low profile without having to "work" at it.

If guns and ammo both are in a closed, lockable container in the back of the truck, federal law sez that if you're legal where the journey begins, and legal where the journey ends, you're legal enroute. Not all LEOs in places like Michigan or Illinois necessarily know this, of course. But, there should be no reason for them to look in the back of your truck, other than a cursory "peek" during a traffic stop.

A locked container inside a locked cap is safer than inside the cab, particularly at a motel at night.

Best luck, Art

nwgunman

Be discreet. I made a move from one state to another with about 1/3 of the family collection (the truly loved goodies-not necessarily the most expensive) locked in a steel box which was bolted to the bed of my pick-up, inside the locked shell, buried under lots of other stuff. Truck is equipped with hidden "kill switch", so at night it doesn't leave without me. Not to advise you break any laws, but I carry a loaded firearm at all times. It takes some degree of "reasonable cause" to search your person. The cab of your truck is another story. Inside a locked box in the bed of your truck will require a warrant. Depending on your collection, you may just want to hustle on through, set up your new home, and then go back later to play "tourist". Stay safe.

treeprof

I strongly recommend buying a copy of "Traveler's Guide to the Firearms Laws of the Fifty States" - it's a really valuable little book. The latest version has a Jan 2001 pub date, and the state laws I've cross-checked it with on various AG or State Police web sites are described correctly in the book. You can get at http://www.cheapterthandirt.com or http://www.dillonprecision.com.

packing.org is a good site to visit but, inevitably with so much data in one place, some of their information, esp. with respect to reciprocity, is occasionally wrong or out of date. Their links to state AG or police sites are very useful tools, tho. Also be aware that firearms laws in any Nat'l Parks, Monuments, Historic Sites, etc. that you might visit are quite draconian, and that the individual superintendants differ widely in how aggressively they enforce them. I think it was AR a few years ago where people driving on a public rd that cut aross park boundaries were reportedly hassled by NPS cops following traffic stops.

Have a safe trip.

Andrewh

Also regardless of where you are, your hotel room is your home as I have understood. Hotel chains "rent" the room to you so they are not legally responsible for what you do in the room.
All state laws are applicable, but having your fire arm in your hotel room should be fine.
That is to say, treat it as your home if you lived in that state. The only thing to watch out for is that states deadly force laws.

Bogie

Doh! I never thought of that!

From now on, with my truck, when travelling (or heck, maybe just at home), I'm gonna either pull my coil wire, or maybe just get a battery switch.

ds1973

Good advice

Hey guys,

Thanks for the good advice. Didn't think of the "kill switch". Good ideas. Private_Idaho, I'm moving to the Boise area but I'm a gun-friendly out of stater and have no problem with other people living their lives without my interference. Please don't harass me. :D

I have also checked the online sites and I think I'll get that book "Traveler's Guide to the Firearms Laws of the Fifty States"

Monkeyleg

ds1973, be advised that National Park rangers _really_ don't like guns in the parks. They're much worse than state troopers or local PD on that issue.

There's lots for you to see, depending upon your timeframe. South Dakota's fine, but if possible get off the interstate around Buffalo or Sheridan WY and head up through the Bighorn Mountains into Cody. It's a beautiful drive (even better on a motorcycle). If you get to the Yellowstone area, try to take time to go over Beartooth Pass into Montana. Time permitting, you should visit Glacier National Park. Another pretty drive is US12 from Missoula to Lewiston Idaho. If you're just doing the I-system the drive from Butte up to Cour de Alene Idaho is also gorgeous. Take a little time to check out Lake Cour de Alene; it's the Lake Tahoe of the north.

Dang, I'd better be able to take a vacation this year. This is giving me wanderlust.

Dick

private_idaho

I second Monkeyleg's comments regarding Glacier and Beartooth Pass - however, I would be hesitant to recommend either drive with a fully loaded pickup. They are knock-down gorgeous, but also winding, steep at times, and Beartooth hits some pretty high elevations (11,000+ if I recollect correctly). Awesome on a bike or in a sports car, kind of a hassle in a loaded truck.

Just my .o2

ds1973

4-cylinders

That's good advice. I've only got a 4 cylinder and it'll be rough going on steep hills. Wyoming's not too far from Boise and I'm sure we'll be making it back that way for vacations. I'm psyched about seeing the west!

moa

DS1973, instead of going to the trouble of a installing a kill switch or whatever, why not at the end of the day just loosen up the negative battery cable. Make it just loose enough the vehicle will not start, but not too loose that it is obvious. I think this will keep the vehicle from starting.

I doubt if most light truck thieves are going to try a figure out why the vehicle will not start. Although, they might look for a kill switch. I have seen that happen. The only problem is, depending on the model year, they might rip out the ignition in order to hot wire it before the realize it will not start.

Something I bought for my trucks is the Autolock. It is a telescoping device that freezes the brake or clutch pedal which also prevents the vehicle from being started. Pretty heavy metal construction and has a barrel lock. It is also quite obvious when you look inside the truck.

jimc

s.dakota is a zero tolerance state. anytime i travel i have only a pump shotgun in the cab. legal in all states incl jersey and ny.
definately locked up and secure while staying in hotels. also as a side note when camping, your tent IS eminent domain (as per us supreme court) and a warrant is needed before entering